Graphic Design - Preparatory Coursework
2013 - 2014 Graphic Design Preparatory Coursework
Graphic Design Classes Full? You can still take classes that will apply towards the Graphic Design Degree.
This list of required courses was created to give students the option of completing non-GD classes first. It may also be helpful for students who are unable to get into the three required graphic design courses in fall term, or students who are starting mid-year and are not able to enter the graphic design sequence.
Students can complete any non-graphic design classes prior to starting the (GD) graphic design sequence of classes. The graphic design sequence can only be fully started in the summer or fall terms. To qualify to register for winter term graphic design classes students must complete the three required first-term classes with a “B” grade or better. In addition, students must have placed into WR 121, out of reading and into Math 60 or completed the equivalent level or higher.
Required classes for the AAS Graphic Design degree that are offered all year and in various sequences:
- Math 65 Intro. to Algebra PT. 2 (4 credits) or Higher
- WR 121 English Composition (4 credits)
- ART 131 Intro. to Drawing (3 credits)
- ART 214 History of Graphic Design (4 credits)
- SP 111 Intro. to Public Speaking (4 credits)
- ART 270 Printmaking (3 credits)
- CAS 111D Webpage Creation (3 credits)
- BA 223 Principles of Marketing or BA 239 Advertising (3 credits)
- Required Art Elective - choose one of the following: ART 237, ART 115, ART 116, ART 117, or ART 204
- Social Science Requirement - one 3 or 4 credit class from General Education List
- Science, Math, Computer Science requirement - one 3 or 4 credit class from General Education List
- Additional general education any category - one 3 or 4 credit class from General Education List
First Term Required Graphic Design Courses
- GD 120 Graphic Design 1 (3 credits)
- GD 114 Introduction to Typography ( 3 credits) *Summer and Fall terms only
- GD 101 Macintosh Fundamentals (1 credits) *Spring, Summer and Fall terms only
Total Credits: 47 - 54+ credits
At least half of the required courses can be taken prior to starting the graphic design sequence courses. (Total credits can vary per person based on any additional courses that may be required. For example Math 60 is a prerequisite for Math 65 and WR 115 may be required prior to taking WR 121 based on your placement test scores).