What will I do on the job?
A paraeducator (instructional assistant) works in K-12 schools and other educational settings. Responsibilities may include the following:
- Working under the supervision of a teacher.
- Assisting small group instruction in reading, math, spelling, etc.
- Assisting individual students in the above academic areas and self-help skills, daily living skills, and other skills depending on the functioning level of the student.
- Following behavior programs as directed by the teacher.
- Preparing and assembling materials.
The particular responsibilities assigned to a paraeducator (instructional assistant) depend on the program and personnel in each school.
What skills will I use on the job?
PCC's program is designed to give you a range of skills including individual instruction, group instruction, job coaching, behavior management, interpersonal and intercultural communication with adults and students, and technological expertise.
Who will hire me?
Instructional assistants are hired by local school districts, county agencies, group homes, workshops, activity centers, and public and private institutions.
How much can I earn?
Approximate annual salaries in the Portland area:
- Starting: $10 – $12 per hour
- Experienced: $10 – $16 per hour