- Josette Beach, RDH, MS
- Thank you for visiting the PCC Dental Program website. I am the Director of the three dental programs at Portland Community College. I graduated from the Dental Assisting and Dental Hygiene programs and can testify to the excellent quality of instruction you will receive in the programs. I have practiced as a dental hygienist for 30 years and have taught in the PCC DH program for over 25 years. For the last four years I have enjoyed working in the director’s position. Special highlights in my career are meeting the newly accepted students as they enter the program and congratulating them upon graduation and entry into the workforce!
- Arleen Shannon
- Arleen has worked in the PCC Dental Department for 19 years. She graduated from Oakland City College in California with her Dental Assisting Certificate. Arleen is a wonderful friend to all of our students!
- Dr. Nancy Pilgrim
- Dentistry has been a part of my life for 27 years. I was born and raised in Minnesota and attended the University of Minnesota Dental School. Currently I teach Medical Emergencies, Dental Anatomy, Head and Neck Anatomy, Dental Histology, Oral Pathology and Nitrous Oxide Sedation.
- Dr. April Love
- Dr. Love graduated from University of Michigan in 1967 as a dental hygienist (BSDH). She worked in private practice while attending U of Michigan to become a dentist and graduated with her DDS in 1979. Her hospital residency brought her to OHSU and she remained in the Portland area with her private dental practice until 2001 when she retired. In 1980, she worked in PCC’s DA department and saw the quality of education offered in the whole dental department. From that time until her retirement, she always hired PCC graduates because of the high levels of professionalism and competency PCC’s graduates were taught. Since retirement, she has worked as a Dental Hygiene dentist and loves contributing to the quality education that she so admired.
- Sandie Curren, RDH, BSDH, MSEd
- Sandie is the 1st Year Lead Instructor and Clinic Coordinator. She graduated from PCC in 2002, completed her bachelor degree through Oregon Institute of Technology in 2005 and obtained her Master's degree in Post Secondary & Adult Education in 2007. She teaches the 1st year Theory courses and Clinics, Radiology I & II and Cariology. She is actively involved in the American Dental Hygienists’ Association on both the state and local levels. In addition to teaching at PCC, she continues to work in private practice one day per week. She and her husband of 30 years have six children and enjoy reading, traveling, and entertaining family and friends.
- Cara Kao-Young, RDH, BS
- Cara Kao-Young graduated from the PCC Dental Hygiene Program in 1990 and received her Bachelor's Degree in Dental Hygiene from Eastern Washington University in 2001. She is a member of American Dental Hygienists' Association and sits on the Government Relations Council for the Oregon Dental Hygienists' Association. Cara's passion is connecting students with underserved populations in our community who need access to oral health care. She has partnered with Medical Teams International to lead groups of students to other countries to improve their oral health as well. Cara is married with two sons, who keep her very busy. She enjoys art, music and reading.
- Anne Jackson, RDH, MS
- Anne has been a part of the PCC family for more than 30 years, first as
dental hygiene program faculty and, eventually, as director of the Dental
Sciences department. Now retired from the administrative role, she teaches
clinical dental hygiene part time and enjoys escorting students on
international trips with Medical Teams International.
- Krysten Clist, RDH, BS
- Krysten Clist is a dental hygienist in the dental hygiene department. She is a part-time instructor who teaches clinical dental hygiene and Periodontology. She has been at PCC for over 30 years. She enjoys boating, going to the beach, photography and scrapbooking.
- Linda Munro, RDH, BS
- I have been a Dental Hygienist for 32 years, and have worked as an educator for 24 of those years. I currently teach clinical Dental Hygiene, Local Anesthesia, and Oral Health Education. I am married, have a son, and love to travel and garden.
- Mickey Nearhood, RDH, MSEd
- Mickey Nearhood, RDH, MSEd, has been a Registered Dental Hygienist for 28 years. She has been a clinical instructor in the PCC Dental Hygiene Program for 12 years; also teaches Pharmacology and Ethics and Jurisprudence to dental hygiene students. Served as president of the Oregon Dental Hygienists' Association in 1996 and 2004. Enjoys traveling and has traveled extensively throughout the U.S., Canada, Great Britain and Western Europe.
- Joclyn Thornburg, RDH, BS
- I grew up in Southwest Portland and graduated from the U of O (now OHSU) Dental Hygiene School. After many years of providing patient care in private practice, I began teaching clinical dental hygiene at the Dental School and at PCC. Being part of training the dental hygienists of the future has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my career. I also volunteer on the Medical Teams International dental van in the Portland area and continue to work part time in private practice. I love living in the beautiful Northwest where there are so many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors and to go hiking and camping.
- Monica Monsantofils, RDH, BS
- Monica Monsantofils, Clinic Instructor, graduate of Portland Community College, BSDH Eastern Washington University. Active in periodontal specialty practice and family practice. Enjoys working with students to promote and maintain the excellent education standards of PCC’s dental hygiene program and the profession.
- Nancy Kurtz, RDH, BS
- I am a graduate of the PCC Dental Hygiene Program and have practiced dental hygiene in a general dentistry office with a focus on periodontics for many years. The DH program at PCC provided me with a valuable life changing education and occupation. Now, I have come full circle and have enjoyed working as a clinical instructor in the Dental Hygiene Clinic at PCC since 2004. This opportunity to teach in the clinic has been a high point in my career and a very educational and rewarding experience as well. This program is comprised of staff members that are devoted to the student's receiving a great education and to the ongoing future of the practice of Dental Hygiene as a whole. I am proud to be a part of it all.
- Monica Lyster, RDH, BS
- Welcome! I have been working as a dental hygienist for 32 years. I am a proud graduate of PCC. Besides teaching part time at PCC, I currently work 2 days a week at the VA Dental Clinic, and 2 days a week for a private practice in Beaverton. I love my time at PCC, working with the awesome staff and working with students. In my spare time I enjoy travel, hiking, mountain climbing, and cooking for family and friends.
- Bev Hawks, RDH, BS
- I've enjoyed working in private practice 37 years so far. However, working for the past four years with the future generation of dental hygienists has given me great joy in my life. Married with 3 children and current empty nesters, my husband Steve and I enjoy long walks, old movies and good coffee.