Skip to page content
- Josette Beach, RDH, MS
- Thank you for visiting the PCC Dental Program website. I am the Director of the three dental programs at Portland Community College. I graduated from the Dental Assisting and Dental Hygiene programs and can testify to the excellent quality of instruction you will receive in the programs. I have practiced as a dental hygienist since1978, began teaching in the PCC DH program in 1982 and I have enjoyed working as the director of our dental programs since 2005. Special highlights in my career are meeting the newly accepted students as they enter the program and congratulating them upon graduation and entry into the workforce!
- Sandie Curren, RDH, BSDH, EPDH, MSEd
- Sandie is the 1st Year Lead Instructor and Clinic Coordinator. She graduated from PCC in 2002, completed her bachelor degree through Oregon Institute of Technology in 2005 and obtained her Master's degree in Post Secondary & Adult Education in 2007. She teaches the 1st year Theory courses and Clinics, Radiology I & II and Cariology. She is actively involved in the American Dental Hygienists’ Association on both the state and local levels. In addition to teaching at PCC, she continues to work in private practice one day per week. She and her husband of 30 years have six children and enjoy reading, traveling, and entertaining family and friends.
- Krysten Clist, RDH, BS
- In 1977 Krysten graduated from the PCC Dental Hygiene Program. She also graduated from Portland State University in 1991 receiving her Bachelor of Science. She has been teaching part-time at PCC since March 1979 in the Dental Hygiene Program. She has taught a variety of courses to both first and second year dental hygiene students and dental assistants. She is currently teaching clinical dental hygiene to both classes and Periodontology I to the second year students. She is member of the American Dental Hygiene Association and currently president of The Oregon Dental Hygiene Scholarship and Loan Fund which she has served as a member since 1993. She still works in private practice and enjoys traveling, spending time at her beach home, photography, scraping booking, and boating.
- Lisa Grage, RDH, BS
- Lisa Grage is a part-time restorative instructor for the Dental Hygiene Program. She is a past graduate of the program and earned her Bachelor's Degree from Portland State University. Lisa practices clinical dental hygiene in a private practice and has her prior experience teaching clinical dental hygiene, restorative, and local anesthesia lab to both first and second year dental hygiene students at Carrington College.
Lisa's home country of Taiwan does not have dental hygienists. She feels privileged to be an educator of dental hygiene and hopes that one day she can bring dental hygiene to Taiwan.
- Dr. Julie Hadley
- Dr. Julie Hadley grew up in a dental household. After many summers dental assisting at her dad's dental practice, Dr. Hadley graduated from Loma Linda University School of Dentistry in 2006. In private practice in Southern California for 7 years, she and her family moved to Portland in 2012 where Dr. Hadley stays busy with her three children, part-time private practice, and very much enjoys being a part-time faculty member at the PCC Dental Hygiene Department.
- Sara Hill, BS, RDH, EPP
- Sara is a Native Oregonian and graduated from PCC's Dental Hygiene program in 2011. She received a Bachelor's Degree from Eastern Washington in 2012, graduating with honors. She is a current member of the American Dental Hygienist's Association and is passionate about lifelong learning. Sara is the Lead Instructor for Dental Hygiene Restorative and also enjoys teaching in First Year and Second Year Dental Hygiene Clinics. Sara is married and enjoys spending time outdoors and with her family.
- Cara Kao-Young, RDH, BSDH, EPDH
- Cara graduated from the PCC Dental Hygiene Program in 1990 and received her Bachelor's Degree in Dental Hygiene from Eastern Washington University in 2001. Since then, she has served as 2nd Year Lead Instructor and teaches Theory, Practice, Community Oral Health, Research Methods and Restorative Hygiene.
Cara encourages students to be curious, to ask questions, and to always consider that each patient is a person, with their own story and individual health needs. Cultivating future educators and mid-level providers in dental hygiene is extremely rewarding for Cara, as they are the voice and the future of our profession. Healthcare reform is changing the ways in which dental hygienists are delivering services to the ever-changing demographics in our communities.
- Nancy Kurtz, RDH, BS
- Nancy is a graduate of Portland Community College Dental Hygiene Program and received her Bachelor's Degree in Dental Hygiene from Eastern Washington University in 2004. She has been a Clinical Dental Hygiene instructor for the past 12 years at PCC. She has also enjoyed providing patient care as a Dental Hygienist in private practice for over 35 years. She is a long time member of the GG Study Club and has served as its Co-President twice. Nancy is a mother of two and a grandmother of two. She and her husband have been married 40 years and in their spare time they enjoy traveling with family and also with the Portland Triumph Owners Association in their restored British sports cars.
- Peggy Lewelling, EFDA, RDH, BSDH, MEd
- Peggy is a past graduate of both the Dental Assisting and Dental Hygiene programs at Portland Community College. She earned her Bachelor of Dental Hygiene from Eastern Washington University in 2009 and a Master’s in Education from Concordia University in 2014. She began teaching in the dental department in 2009 and is one of the three full time dental assisting instructors at PCC. She also enjoys working as a clinical and pre-restorative instructor in the dental hygiene program. Peggy stays current with her skills by working as a clinical dental hygienist in a private practice when not on campus. She is currently a member of the American Dental Hygiene Association and volunteers for organizations such as Compassion Connect and Medical Teams International, providing dental care for the underserved. Besides teaching, Peggy loves spending time with her family and exploring all that Oregon landscape has to offer, as well as traveling to many warm sunny places.
- Dr. April Love
- Dr. Love graduated from University of Michigan in 1967 as a dental hygienist (BSDH). She worked in private practice while attending U of Michigan to become a dentist and graduated with her DDS in 1979. Her hospital residency brought her to OHSU and she remained in the Portland area with her private dental practice until 2001 when she retired. In 1980, she worked in PCC’s DA department and saw the quality of education offered in the whole dental department. From that time until her retirement, she always hired PCC graduates because of the high levels of professionalism and competency PCC’s graduates were taught. Since retirement, she has worked as a Dental Hygiene dentist and loves contributing to the quality education that she so admired.
- Monica Lyster, RDH, BA
- Monica graduated from the PCC Dental Hygiene program in 1977.She received her Bachelor's Degree from Linfield College in 2006. She has been teaching clinical DH at PCC since 2006.She also teaches Ethics and Jurisprudence for the DH. In addition to working at PCC, she works 3 days/week at the Veteran's Dental Clinic. Monica recently finished classes at PSU and received a graduate certificate in Adult Education. She enjoys travelling and hiking in her spare time.
- Sandra Miles, CDA, RDH, BAIS, MSDH
- Sandra graduated from PCC’s Dental Hygiene program in 1980. She completed her undergraduate degree in Interdisciplinary Studies (2004) at Marylhurst University, and obtained a Master’s degree in Dental Hygiene (2012) from Idaho State University. Professional memberships include: the American Dental Hygienist’s Association (ADHA); the International Federation of Dental Hygienists (IFDH); the American Dental Education Association (ADEA); and, long-term member of the BDP Dental Hygiene Study Club. Key volunteer experiences include: ADHA’s Smoking Cessation Initiative (SCI) Liaison for Oregon; and, phone counselor for Oregon Partnership Alcohol and Drug Helpline and Suicide Prevention HopeLine.
Sandra works one day per week in private practice, and part-time as a Clinical instructor in PCC’s DH program. She sincerely enjoys working with first year students as they develop technical instrumentation skill, and learn how to provide patient-centered care and preventive and therapeutic dental hygiene services.
- Linda Munro, RDH, BS
- Linda graduated from the PCC Dental Hygiene program in 1977, and received her Bachelor’s Degree from Portland State University in 1984. She has been an instructor in the Dental Hygiene department since 1985. Besides teaching clinical Dental Hygiene, she teaches Local Anesthesia to second year students, and Pharmacology and Oral Health Education and Promotion to first year students. Married, she and her husband have a son, are empty nesters, and love to travel and garden.
- Dr. Nancy Pilgrim
- Dentistry has been a part of my life for over 30 years. I was born and raised in Minnesota and attended the University of Minnesota Dental School. Currently I teach Medical Emergencies, Dental Anatomy, Head and Neck Anatomy, Dental Histology, Oral Pathology and Nitrous Oxide Sedation.
- Joclyn Thornburg, RDH, BS
- Joclyn grew up in Southwest Portland and graduated from the U of O (now OHSU) Dental Hygiene School in 1971 and has been providing patient care in private practice ever since, She began teaching clinical dental hygiene at the Dental School and has been teaching at PCC since 1999. She has taught Community Dental Hygiene, Public Health, and currently teaches Pharmacology. Being part of training the dental hygienists of the future has been one of the most rewarding experiences of her career. She volunteers on the Medical Teams International dental van in the Portland area and continues to work part time in private practice. She loves living in the beautiful Northwest where there are so many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors and to go hiking and camping.
- Arleen Shannon, Administrative Assistant
- Arleen has worked in the PCC Dental Department since 1990 and graduated from Oakland City College in California with her Dental Assisting Certificate. Arleen is the dental administrative assistant and a wonderful friend to all of our students!
- Carolina Valle, Front Desk Receptionist
- Carolina is the office receptionist. She was born and raised in Costa Rica and now resides in Portland since 2014. Before joining our department, she worked as an Emergency Room doctor. Carolina is exceptional at what she does because of her positive attitude and enthusiasm. She is instrumental in keeping our clinic running smoothly and loves to work with students. She strives for excellence in customer service and office skills and continues to upgrade her knowledge, through numerous of education courses. Carolina is married, has two teenagers and enjoys studying, spending time with family and friends. Her interests include outdoor activities, going to movies, shopping and travel.