Dental Assisting - Program Admission
Sylvania HT 206 | 971-722-4795
The Dental Assisting program is a closed program with limited enrollment of 45 students each year. If more than 45 qualified students apply to the program, the incoming class will be selected by lottery. Only applicants who are complete with prerequisite and job shadowing requirements by the end of winter term prior to the application deadline will be eligible for the lottery. See the catalog for specific program requirements.
To be eligible for the Dental Assisting program students must complete the following college-level prerequisites with a grade C or better.
- ABE Fundamentals of Math (Formerly Math 10) or higher, or placement into Math 20 or higher
- Writing 115 or higher, or placement into Writing 121
- Health or nutrition elective. (Course must include a nutrition component. Recommended classes: HE 250, HPE 295, or FN 225)
- Psychology elective (Recommended class: PSY 101)
- And 12 hours job shadowing a Dental Assistant in a Dentist's office or clinic
Please be advised that completing minimum requirements and applying to the program does not guarantee admission.
Applications for Fall 2015 can be submitted starting October 1, 2014. We do not accept applications earlier than October 1. If we receive more than 45 complete applications for the Dental Assisting program, students will be selected by lottery. Only students who have completed their program requirements by the end of winter term will be considered for the lottery. Students in progress with prerequisites past winter term may apply but will not be guaranteed consideration. All application materials must be hand delivered or mailed to the Health Admissions Office by April 15, 2015. We do not accept faxed, emailed, or scanned application materials.
To be considered for the Dental Assisting Program, please submit the following:
- Dental Assisting program application
- Documentation of 12 hours job shadowing a Dental Assistant in a Dentist's office or clinic on letterhead, signed by the dentist
- Compass writing and math test scores from colleges other than PCC, if you have not taken a college level writing or math course
- Official college transcripts showing a minimum 2.0 GPA and reflecting completion of WR 115 or higher, MTH 10 or higher, approved college-level health or nutrition course ( HE 250, HPE 295, or FN 225), and a psychology elective. You do not need to supply official copies of your PCC transcript. If your college GPA is below 2.0, you must submit official high school transcripts or a copy of your GED with scores.
- Official copies of high school transcripts or GED scores, if college GPA is less than 2.0.
You will be required to wear protective gear and clothing during all laboratory procedures that produce airborne particulate matter or expose you to patients during dental procedures.
Although not required for admission, it is highly recommended that students are familiar with computers.
The program requires a full-time commitment for nine months. It is also necessary to have financial arrangements in place the summer before starting the program in order to purchase supplies for the year. Accepted students will be informed of supply costs.