Before you apply
The Dental Sciences Department strongly recommends applicants shadow certified Dental Assistants for 12 hours prior to application.
In 2015 job shadowing will be required to apply.
PCC's Dental Assisting Program admits 45 students each year. Completion of the prerequisites and program
requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. If the number of eligible applicants exceeds the
number of program spaces, all eligible applicants are placed in a lottery to determine which applicants are
accepted each year. Applicants are eligible for the lottery if they have all program requirements by the end of
Winter Term, 2014.
- MTH 10 or COMPASS test placement into MTH20*
- WR115 or COMPASS test placement into WR121*
- Psychology elective (PSY 101 recommended)
- Approved health or nutrition elective (FN 225, HE 250, or HPE 295)
- High school diploma or GED or official college transcript with GPA of 2.0 or higher
*Math and writing competencies for entry to the program can be met with COMPASS placement tests.
- Apply to Portland Community College.
- Complete the Dental Assisting program application.
- Include required response to the essay question (see application).
- Include official college transcripts (other than PCC) documenting completion of required prerequisite courses and/or official documentation of placement tests scores. These documents must be submitted with your application NOT mailed separately.
- Applications are accepted beginning October 1, 2013.
- All application materials, including college transcripts and application form, must be received in the Health Admissions Office by April 15th 2014 at 5 pm. Post-dated materials will not be accepted.
- Prerequisites must be complete by the end of Winter term of the year in which you apply.
- Applicants will be informed of their admissions status in writing by early-June
- The program begins Fall term.