Skip to page content
Asian Studies Activities, 2012-2013
- May 2012: In conjunction with the Asian Studies Focus Award celebration (19 students received the award, but 10 recipients were in attendance), Dr. Larry Kominz from Portland State University gave a Kyogen performance. Standing room only. Takako Yamaguchi was instrumental in bringing this performance.
- September 29, 30, 2012: PCC hosted the bi-annual ARCAS meeting. Deborah Sipe took on the lead on planning; JulieAnne Poncet led a tour of the Lan Su Classical Garden; Dr. Marybeth Graybill, Director of the Portland Art Museum, led a tour of the China collection and then the early evening reception was held as well. Betty Buck spent the day at PCC.
- November 8, 2012: Special speaker in conjunction with Martha Bailey’s World Religions class: Dr. Mohammed Ali from University of California, Riverside spoke on Islamic studies in Indonesia.
- November 30 and December 1, 2012: In conjunction with the obligations of the Title VI Grant, PCC hosted a workshop for the “China Cohort” – the twelve faculty members working on enhancing China curriculum. Dr. Peter Hershock guided discussions with the cohort. The speakers with topics were:
- "The Long Tail of the Chinese Revolution: Why Maoism Still Matters in Politics and Culture" by Shana Brown, Professor of History, University of Hawaii
- "Thinking about Chinese Nationalism" by Cathryn Clayton, Professor of Asian Studies, University of Hawaii
- Dr. Jeffrey Hanes, Director of the Center for Asian and Pacific Studies at U of O, and Lori O’Hollaren, Assistant Director of the Center for Asian and Pacific Studies, visited the Asian Studies Committee on November 9, 2012. The center is a Title VI East Asia National Regional Center, and they have started the “Oregon East Asia Network,” which connects various institutions in Oregon together. They are happy to work with us, and Dr. Jeff Hanes, who is an expert on Japanese history, will be speaking at PCC in May in conjunction with Takako Yamaguchi’s Japanese Culture class on April 15. They are excited about collaborating with us.
- February 7, 2013: PCC hosted a Rakugo performance put on by Matt Shore, and the reception was attended by the Japanese Consulate-General in Oregon, Takamichi Okabe, with his wife, who spoke and answered questions. Again, Takako Yamaguchi was instrumental in bringing all of them to PCC.
- Dr. Jeffrey Hanes, University of Oregon, Tradition and Modernity in Japanese History, 2:00-3:20 PM
- Dr. Sophal Ear, U.S. Naval School, “How Foreign Assistance Undermines Democracy: Aid Dependence in Cambodia and Beyond.” Two classes: Rosa Bettencourt’s Political Science, and Youssef Khodaparast’s Economics will attend.
- Asian Studies Focus Award Celebration, May 15, 2:00-3:30. Dr. Yomi Braester, University of Washington, will speak on Chinese Cinema.