Alcohol and Drug Counseling - Program Overview

Alcohol and Drug Counselor student

Counselors trained in our program make
an invaluable contribution to the health
of Oregonians.

Our program prepares students to become alcohol and drug counselors working in an Agency setting. We help students meet the educational requirements for ACCBO certification exams. 

Before entry into the program, students must:
  • Have a working knowledge and/or background of basic computer skills including windows, keyboarding, internet and email.
  • Complete Writing 121 or equivalent with a grade of “C” or above.
  • Complete AD 101 with a grade of "C" or above.
  • Complete LIB 101 with a grade of "C" or above.
  • Be in good or warning academic standing (students on probation or continued probation should speak with the admissions coordinator)
  • Provide documentation of non-abuse of alcohol or drugs for the past 18 months.
  • You will receive admission points for other classes that are part of the Certificate and Associate Degree Program. To find out what classes give you admission points view the advising guide.
While in the program, students must:
  • Agree not to abuse alcohol or other drugs during enrollment.
  • If you are a recovering student, you must agree to abstain from any alcohol or illicit drug use.


Obtaining work experience in an addiction treatment or prevention facility is an essential element of our program. It is this work that translates most directly to skill acquisition and actual employment. The major addiction treatment facilities in the Portland metro area utilize our practicum students. Practicum students duties includes but is not limited to:

  • group facilitation
  • record keeping
  • intakes
  • individual counseling
  • staff meetings
  • clinical supervision

Our program also helps the student amass hours toward the work experience component of the ACCBO certification requirement.

Transferring to a 4-Year College

Please consult a program advisor with the school that you wish to complete your Bachelor's degree. It is entirely up to the 4-year school which courses they will and will not accept so for the most current information it is best to speak with someone at the specific school in question. The Alcohol and Drug Admissions Coordinator and the Program Advisor make every effort to offer students current information regarding course transferability but the final determination can only be made by the 4 year school personnel.