Sylvania CC 225 | 971-722-8195
Going to college is a big goal, and sometimes high school students don't know where to start. The Upward Bound program prepares students for college during their high school years by providing tutoring, advising and mentoring services, as well as opportunities to explore various careers.
Exposure to the college environment is also very important, and Upward Bound visits local colleges and universities throughout the year. During the summer Upward Bound participants attend classes at PCC's Sylvania campus for five weeks, as well as experiencing what it's like to live on-campus during a residential stay at Oregon State University.
Upward Bound offers a comprehensive set of services to help students succeed in high school, and enter and complete college in order to obtain rewarding and satisfying careers.
To be eligible you must:
Be a first generation college-bound student. You are a first generation college student if neither of your parents has a four-year degree. And/or you must meet low-income eligibility guidelines according to Federal Office of TRiO Programs.
Be a freshman or sophomore attending one of the following Washington County high schools:
- Aloha HS
- Sunset HS
- Tigard HS
- Tualatin HS
Desire to improve your GPA.
- Weekly tutorials in math, ESL, English, science and social studies
- Preparation for college entrance exams
- Assistance with college admission and financial aid applications
- Academic and career counseling
- College campus tours
- Cultural enrichment activities
- Family involvement activities
- Summer Program at PCC Sylvania and Oregon State University
- Make a commitment to participate in the Upward Bound Program throughout your educational career
- Make plans to enter college after high school
- Attend six weeks of summer programming
- Meet with an Upward Bound advisor weekly
- Participate in required number of Upward Bound academic, career, cultural and family activities
- Work to increase your Cumulative GPA by .25 each year