Western Civilization: Ancient to Medieval
Research support framework
The following shows where Western Civilization: Ancient to Medieval fits into the Research Support Framework developed by PCC Librarians.
- I can develop a topic
- I can search a database and get related results
- Begin academic writing
- Begin informational research
Library support of CCOGs
These are the course outcomes and other indicators which require library support.
- Identify the influence of culturally based practices, values, and beliefs to assess how historically defined meanings of difference affect human behavior.
- Research Projects
- Analyze and evaluate primary and secondary sources
Course integrated research support
These are the ways that the librarians can support information literacy achievement for the students in this course.
- Gather reliable secondary sources for background information
- Use search strategies familiar to historians
- Choose primary sources and historical documents for use in essays
- Define general indicators of credibility
- Compare and evaluate open web and sources from databases for historicity and validity
- Use specialized search engines, library databases and journal browsing to locate sources that historians would use
- Define a research topic in a hierarchical fashion, broad to specific
- Differentiate between databases for relevance to topic
- Differentiate key words from subject headings
- Use reference tools for building background knowledge