Research support framework
The following shows where Reading 80 fits into the Research Support Framework developed by PCC Librarians.
- I know what the library is, and where it is
- I feel like the library is a welcoming place
- I know who the librarians are
- Time management
- Note Taking
- Building on incremental successes
Library support of CCOGs
These are the course outcomes and other indicators which require library support.
- Articulate topic and main idea in a variety of reading materials.
- Use reading for pleasure, learning, and intellectual stimulation.
- Demonstrate successful college student behaviors.
- study reading and pleasure reading
- reading the newspaper
- completing a book for enjoyment (Course Content)
- oral or written book report or other project based on a book read by the student (Outcome assessment strategies)
Course integrated research support
These are the ways that the librarians can support information literacy achievement for the students in this course.
- Locate newspapers in hard copy in the library to browse
- Locate a book to read on a topic of interest
- Recognize librarians as guides to reliable information
- Identify various modes of information access via the web, library, and personal sources
- Observe guidelines for working independently or collaboratively in a library setting
- Layout of library, and location of various collections like hard copy newspapers, New Readers and Popular book collections
- Introduction to searching the online catalog to identify books which fit scope of reading assignment
- Interact with a librarian for selecting, locating, checking out or requesting a book
- Browse articles from databases through topic lists
- Observe protocols for acceptable behavior in the various areas of the library
- Ability to follow directions in a sequential way
- Recognize distractions which inhibit learning
- Ability to differentiate books in electronic form from other forms of information