Research support framework
The following shows where New Directions fits into the Research Support Framework developed by PCC Librarians.
- I know what the library is, and where it is
- I feel like the library is a welcoming place
- I know who the librarians are
- Time management
- Note Taking
- Building on incremental successes
Library support of CCOGs
These are the course outcomes and other indicators which require library support.
Course outcomes are not available for this Program. Information literacy is in the description and learning objectives.
"The focus of the program is on increasing self-awareness and self-esteem, and improving life skills. The goal is to assist students in making a career choice and developing skills that will lead to financial independence."
Course integrated research support
These are the ways that the librarians can support information literacy achievement for the students in this course.
- Understand that the library is a place to connect to the college
- Improve studentship, using time management and task focus to learn fundamental searching skills
- Persistence to advance to pre-college level reading and writing courses
- Explore career information available through the library
- Explore self-help topics using library sources
- Recognize the librarians, and the services and study areas available in the library
- Use their schema to connect to prior knowledge, proceeding through building blocks of basic library skills
- Identify library tools and opportunities for locating information through the library website
- Define a career area and search introductory information sources
- Use the library catalog to identify useful classifications to explore in the stacks
- Communicate thoughts clearly
- Read introductory level text
- Motivation to learn, willingness to work in a group
Tour of library, with attention to study rooms, equipment desk, call numbers for "self-help" books.
Describe role of Reference librarian as connector to college services, intermediary with classroom faculty for assignment support, as well as provider of information and referral.
Using designated topic words, in small groups access and search the SIRS database. Report out the types of documents located
Locate Occupational Outlook Handbook online. Search with designated career field terms. Work in teams with at least one technically adept student as a guide to the others. Identify the major parts of the reports; identify related career fields.