Research support framework
The following shows where Microbiology fits into the Research Support Framework developed by PCC Librarians.
- I can explain and describe my position on this issue, and support it with primary sources
- I can accurately summarize the scholarly conversation
- Complexity in research and analysis
- Participant in scholarly conversation
Library support of CCOGs
These are the course outcomes and other indicators which require library support.
B. Use an understanding of the impact of microbes on human cultures around the world both historically and in the present day to evaluate current social health issues.
D. Use an understanding of research and laboratory experiences to organize, evaluate, and present data and information to illustrate and articulate basic microbiology concepts.
Research paper(s) on microbial topics, library skills and presentations
Library research skills
Writing scientific research paper
Course integrated research support
These are the ways that the librarians can support information literacy achievement for the students in this course.
- Create a research question related to microbiology and human culture
- Integrate sources from primary scientific literature to support thesis
- Identify reliable quantitative data sources for current social health issues
- Relate background information from books and other sources to historical context
- Use library databases to locate date to synthesize from medical journals and primary scientific sources
- Identify reliable and authoritative information providers
- Understand utility of books for historical topics, using their indexes and table of contents to read selectively
- Navigate to library databases, to select those that are appropriate for selected topic(s)
- Identify "authority" of authors, recognizing significance of author affiliation statements or organizations
- Differentiate between magazine and journal articles
- Using Google Scholar, search for a journal article about a Microbiology topic, then link out to the "Cited By" authors