Library research and Beyond
Research support framework
The following shows where Library research and Beyond fits into the Research Support Framework developed by PCC Librarians.
- I can develop a topic
- I can search a database and get related results
- Begin academic writing
- Begin informational research
Library support of CCOGs
These are the course outcomes and other indicators which require library support.
- Locate, evaluate and select pertinent information in order to make informed decisions based on data.
- Evaluate sources of information to distinguish between facts and opinions in order to enter into the community of scholarship, and develop professional competence.
- Introduces the research process and essential research skills to find, select and cite the best information.
- Teaches identification of research topics, planning and carrying out the research process
- Identify and cite preferred sources of credible information.
Course integrated research support
These are the ways that the librarians can support information literacy achievement for the students in this course.
- Articulate a research topic, and identify what information they need
- Critically evaluate information and recognize the value of various types of information
- Save and manage information electronically or by printing it, and to describe the purpose and parts of a citation
- Identify a variety of sources of information, and the characteristics of the information found in them
- Develop a search strategy based on their research topic, and search a variety of information resources effectively
- Describe what resources (human, physical and electronic) they can expect to find in a library, and how to access those resources
- Data structure
- Economics of information
- Authority and attribution
- Academic conversation
- Identify topics, perspectives, and point of view
- Differentiate between mediated and unmediated information sources
- Navigate library website