TITLE: Telecommunications Wiring Technician
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the general direction of telephone services management and the specific direction of the Senior Telecommunications Technician, provides telecommunications wiring services and support for the voice and data network. Communicates information to co-workers, customers and vendors and has the ability to work with a high level of accuracy and customer service skills. Incumbent is a key contributor with the work results impacting the accuracy, reliability and acceptability of work performed beyond the immediate work section.
1. Installs, maintains and troubleshoots cable and associated equipment in support of the voice and data network. Utilizes construction skills to install equipment such as: raceways, wire mold and conduit.
2. Moves and delivers telecommunications cable and related supplies between district-wide locations as well as within campus locations.
3. Maintains inventory of essential parts and equipment to ensure installations and repair in a timely manner.
4. Maintains records and information which tracks work projects, campus wiring and equipment databases, call accounting and infrastructure.
5. Keeps updated on National Electrical Code as to the installation of category 5, 5e, 6 and fiber optic cable.
6. Fills in for Senior Telecommunications Technician in their absence or by their direction to obtain bids and direct the work of vendors.
7. Interfaces with equipment and associated equipment manufacturers and/or their field service representatives to resolve failures and secure replacement parts.
8. Maintains a working knowledge of data and voice networks to be able to assist network support in interfacing network to T1, T3 and communication systems.
9. Operates an assigned college vehicle and is responsible for the maintenance and safe operation of that vehicle.
10. Attends regular staff meetings of Telephone Services staff and participates in problem solving and discussions of system and project related issues.
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work schedule may require early or late hours to keep disturbance of classrooms to a minimum. Work may be performed in cramped or awkward positions. Exposure to safety hazards, noise and temperature extremes, etc., including dust/fumes, tunnels, crawl spaces and ceiling areas and may involve use of ladder, electrical tools and sensitive test equipment. Job requires daily travel between campuses and off-site locations.
Requires physical agility to perform work in confined spaces, tunnels and work from ladders in elevated areas. Requires the ability to pull wire through conduits, ceiling areas and wire duct. Also requires the ability to keyboard, lift equipment, and stand for extended periods of time and to operate power tools and test equipment.
High school diploma or equivalent. Basic understanding of the telecommunications industry and TIA cabling standards. Nortel certification in the following areas or the ability to acquire certification within a designated time: Meridian 1 Options 11E-81C familiarization, Meridian XII Release 24 Basic Database Administration.
Must possess State of Oregon Limited Energy Technician-Class A License.
Two years of experience working as a telecommunications wiring technician with category 5, 5e, 6 and fiber optic cable. A working knowledge of e-mail word-processing, data base and/or spreadsheet applications is required.
Good customer service and communication skills are required. Ability to work from schematics, blueprints and engineering data and to use a variety of diagnostic equipment such as: T-com T-1 tester, Pentascanner for cat 5 cable certification, Fluke 4300 for Cat 6 cable certification, spectrum analyzers, and volt meters. Ability to communicate technical information effectively orally and in written form. Ability to perform duties independently. Ability to provide own transportation for travel between job sites.