TITLE: Veterans Specialist
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the general direction of the Director of Financial Aid, provides veterans with a variety of services. Incumbent is responsible for certifying veterans educational benefits under state and federal regulations and for interpreting and implementing policies and procedures in support of federal and state statutes and guidelines. Ensures that each eligible veteran receives their share of benefits that fall within the federal guidelines. Acts as a resource for any veteran in the community at large. Interpersonal contacts include students, faculty and staff, the public, federal and state agencies, military departments, and others affiliated with similar programs at regional colleges and universities. Job requires patience in communication and well-developed verbal skills to present and exchange technical or complex information. Work situations require consideration and interpretation of circumstances or information to choose the most effective responses. Responsible for producing journey-level work output on an independent basis subject to supervisory direction and review.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: (Includes some or all of the following)
- Performs certification of veterans' educational benefits, authorizing payment of benefits in accordance with the Department of Veterans Affairs regulations and procedures.
- Conducts veteran student orientations to advise students of federal, state and institutional compliance requirements, documents and policies. Guides and assists student veterans with choice of academic major consistent with Veterans Affairs regulations and policies.
- Collects file data and prepares student certifications authorizing state and federal payments. Conducts audit of student schedule and transcripts against degree requirements of declared major. Notifies students if courses do not apply toward their declared course of study.
- Monitors, evaluates and verifies satisfactory academic progress of students receiving veterans' entitlements. Notifies the Veterans Affairs and students of insufficient grades and unsatisfactory academic progress standing at the end of each term.
- Creates, maintains and audits student files for state/federal accountability purposes.
- Collects student data for regular reports on a weekly and monthly basis and inputs into database.
- Prepares for and participates in annual federal and stated compliance surveys.
- Processes and distributes several thousand dollars in "advance pay" checks from the Veterans Administration to students each term.
- Participates in annual veterans program training. This includes reviewing changes to program policies and procedures as well as new laws governing the administration of veterans education programs. Maintains active participation in professional organizations and continuing education.
- Guides and directs the work of student employees.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office environment with some exposure to noise. Exposure to a video display terminal will occur on a regular basis. Some evening and Saturday work is necessary on a rotational basis. Job demands can be difficult due to heavy work flow, the meeting deadlines, continual interruptions, changing regulations and competing priorities.
Learned physical skill is required for keyboarding. Position requires standing with varied frequency.
Associate's degree in business, social science or related area. Experience performing the duties of the job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Two years experience providing technical assistance and guidance to others, working with complex procedures and regulations, analyzing and interpreting data, and records management (both electronic and hard copy). One year of this experience must be in a college setting.
Must have good communication skills to effectively interact with a variety of people.