TITLE: TypeWell Transcriber
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of Disability Access Services management, provides TypeWell transcribing services for students with auditory processing disabilities in lecture and lab classes, exams, discussions and related activities. The TypeWell transcriber accepts responsibility for knowledge of and adherence to the ethics of transcribing and the role of the educational transcriber.
- Provides in-class speech-to-text communication services using TypeWell abbreviation software on laptop computers linked wirelessly. Transcribes meaning-for-meaning for students in college classes and/or laboratories which may require presentation and exchange of highly complex and technical information. Assesses student needs and the transcribing situation before and during assignments and makes adjustments as needed. Provides transcripts to students within 24 hours after the class.
- Assists with providing for the student's communication needs, including assessing and adjusting lighting, seating arrangements and access to visual aids.
- Preps for classes by reading and becoming familiar with technical vocabulary and content.
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses basic problems with computer equipment. Performs minor maintenance and repair on equipment as necessary.
- Establishes and maintains a good working relationship with students, staff and/or off-site agencies as may be required by the assignment.
- Stays abreast of new developments and techniques in the speech-to-text services field by attending workshops and conferences and reviewing current literature, legislation and technology.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is mainly performed in the classroom/laboratory environment. There may be occasional off campus assignments. Work may be performed during any of the scheduled class times: days, evenings, and/or weekends.
Considerable learned physical skill is required to perform transcribing work. Constant repetitive motion and mental processing are required. Extended sitting is also required.
High school diploma or equivalent. Satisfactory completion of the TypeWell Transcriber training course is required. A minimum of one year of documented classroom transcribing experience at the post-secondary level is preferred.
Must be fluent in English and demonstrate advanced skill in the use of TypeWell transcribing software. Ability to provide own transportation to and from campuses and/or off-site locations may be required.