TITLE: Research Technician
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-Exempt
NATURE & SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of Institutional Effectiveness (IE) management, performs a wide range of research responsibilities related to college enrollment, student demographics, program profiles etc. Incumbent works with data from a variety of sources, analyzes and catalogs data and uses applications software to create complex, detailed reports and other research documents. Uses web-specific software to develop, design and deliver structure for the IE/Planning web site.
Incumbent interacts with a diverse set of individuals, including administrators, faculty, staff, students, and the public, as well as representatives from external agencies/organizations. In coordination with Technology Solutions Services (TSS), exercises considerable independence and technical control over web-related work product.
- Uses applications software to produce IE reports and other materials related to college enrollment, student demographics, staffing, program profiles, and a variety of specialized topics. Troubleshoots and resolves data problems to ensure accuracy and integrity of reports.
- Researches and responds to requests for information from college staff and the public, while adhering to college policy and departmental guidelines regarding access to, use of and release of confidential information.
- Downloads data files from college mainframe and manipulates to produce research reports; also collects data from various college departments and external sources to create reports. Performs data entry and retrieval functions using college mainframe and/or microcomputer or other computer networks using prescribed procedures; creates and maintains PC data bases for reporting purposes.
- Coordinates special projects (survey administration, focus groups, etc.) related to responsibilities of the department administrator and research analysts to accomplish research objectives.
- Designs, develops, and delivers structure for Internet/Intranet web site for Institutional Effectiveness and to support college strategic planning functions. Uses appropriate coding or web-specific software, FTP and other internet protocols to manage the IE/Planning web site.
- Documents, tests, implements and maintains web pages and multimedia design using appropriate web publishing, editing and graphics applications; troubleshoots design and technical issues related to web pages. Ensures compliance with site-wide upgrades.
- Implements design standards and styles that ensure a high level of design and coding efficiency consistent with current standards, laws, and trends. Consults with TSS regarding current college standards.
- Monitors and reports web statistics and makes recommendations to IE management to improve visibility and usability of web site.
- Stays current with technological developments related to web-design tools and acts as technical resource for software. Serves as key contact with TSS to determine and integrate emerging new technologies in support of the needs and goals of the department.
- Establishes and maintains an effective records system for IE projects and reports, records and documentation. Maintains an up-to-date procedures manual for the IE office.
- Establish the IE department website as a resource for information including maintenance, updating and creating new features and maintaining accuracy of IE department web pages. Compiles, edits and distributes IE-related communications.
- Monitors department expenditures and ensures that payroll data for department staff is processed in a timely manner.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of office and/or instructional supplies; researches PC hardware and software purchases for the IE department.
- Makes travel arrangements for director and other staff members; coordinates logistics for meetings, conferences, and staff retreats.
- Participates on various committees.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis. Work pressures and disruption of work flow occur frequently; irregularities in work schedule (including extended work hours) may also occur. Required to periodically upgrade skills in order to remain current with changes in technology and software.
Learned physical skill is required to operate a computer and other related equipment. Occasional lifting, guiding, and/or carrying of light-weight materials or equipment may be required.
Associate's degree with substantial coursework in microcomputer applications or business technology required. Experience performing the duties of the position may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. Two years of work experience performing comparable functions required. Must be proficient to expert using spreadsheet, word processing, database and presentation software and must have experience integrating software applications to produce complex documents. Must be proficient in web production and in web tool usage and support which includes web design, graphic design, or visual arts. Must be proficient with programming languages such as HTML, Java Script, and Perl and use of web tools such as FrontPage, DreamWeaver, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat.
Demonstrated ability to recognize and resolve technical problems and data irregularities. Must have effective interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to convey technical and complex information in both written and oral form. Requires good mathematical skills (basic algebra or higher) and ability to utilize formulas in spreadsheets; must be detail-oriented and produce highly accurate work. Must have good planning and organizational skills and the ability to manage and prioritize work assignments in order to meet deadlines. Ability to coordinate multiple projects, work with minimum guidance and direction, and also contribute effectively as part of a team.