TITLE: Recycling Technician
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of the District Sustainability Manager, monitors and implements waste reduction and the recycling of all recyclable materials at assigned Portland Community College campus(es) or center(s). Disseminates information to staff regarding the PCC recycling program in alignment with District recycling educational goals and campaigns. Maintains recycling records for supervisor's review and annual reporting based on established guidelines. Directs student help or casual employees and works with recycling service providers as needed to accomplish the work. This position will serve as a member of the PCC Sustainability Council (PSC) Consumption & Solid Waste Subcommittee in support of the PCC Climate Action Plan and other College sustainability commitments.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: (Includes some or all of the following)
- Coordinates and collects recycled paper from classrooms, office central collection stations and bins, labs and loading docks, building main public areas, food service areas and other college work spaces or workshop spaces for delivery to central recycling storage area; may necessitate occasional driving between campuses in a college vehicle.
- Sorts and makes ready all recyclable materials (including paper, plastics, bottles, cans, cardboard and compost) according to type and prepares for pickup by service provider.
- Schedules and makes visits to communicate recycling information to staff and students in departments, offices, classrooms and laboratories. Distributes recycling information (e.g., signage, written materials, etc.) as needed and requested. Delivers recycling boxes, bins, containers and stations for deposits of materials where appropriate.
- Contacts service providers and schedules pickup of recycling products on all campuses.
- Facilitates the diversion of cardboard by depositing and flattening cardboard into recycling collection container or compactor. Keeps the recycling room and loading dock area clean and orderly.
- Orders and maintains an adequate supply of recycling boxes and containers from service providers in coordination with district sustainability program standards.
- Under the direction of the District Sustainability Manager, interacts and interfaces with student help as needed.
- Facilitates PCC’s participation in pre- and post-consumer organic food waste collection, including supporting the operation of on-site composting as directed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Incumbent may work in less than desirable conditions: outside in inclement weather, in the campus tunnels and storerooms. This position is an essential job and incumbent will assist other employees in ice and snow removal when requested. Required to perform extended standing and walking on a regular basis. Heavy lifting is required to do this job (up to 60 lbs). Operates forklift, trucks, pallet jacks and hand trucks.
High school diploma or equivalent. Knowledge of recycling processes required. Good organization, public communication and recordkeeping skills. Must have basic computer skills and understanding of basic operations and software applications such as e-mail.
Must have a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in State of Oregon and possess an acceptable driving record. Must have the ability to direct the work of others; and to meet the requirements for forklift driver certification. Forklift certification required within six months of hire.