TITLE: Recycling Technician
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of the Manager, monitors and implements waste reduction and recycling of all specialized recyclable materials district-wide for Portland Community College. Disseminates information to staff regarding the PCC recycling program in alignment with District recycling educational goals and campaigns. Serves as a District-wide Recycling Technician, serving all 10 major campuses and centers.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: (Includes some or all of the following)
- Coordinates, collects and organizes rebates for specialized recycling items including but not limited to: electronic ballasts, electronics, batteries, shredded paper, pre-consumer compost, paint, books, VHS/DVDs/CDs and general office supplies.
- Sorts and makes ready all recyclable materials according to type and prepares for pickup by service provider or delivers to applicable vendor. Coordinates collection of all materials with appropriate campus staff.
- Schedules and makes visits to communicate recycling information to staff and students in departments, offices, classrooms and laboratories. Distributes recycling information as needed and requested. Delivers recycling boxes, bins, containers and stations for deposits of materials where appropriate.
- Contacts service providers and schedules pickup of specialized recycling products on all campuses. Interacts with courtesy and tact in exchanging information and providing assistance to recycling customers and in dealing with suppliers, recyclers, campus safety and other college staff.
- Collects, sorts, prepares containers and labels materials as required by Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) rules for universal, hazardous, non-hazardous and special waste. This includes batteries, lamps, electronic ballasts, paint, aerosol cans and other related materials. Communicates and works with FMS Sustainability Manager, FMS Safety/Environmental Manager and Financial Services Safety and Risk Department.
- Organizes and facilitates interactions and appropriate retailers throughout the Portland-metro area for disposing of specialized recycling properly and locally, if possible.
- Maintains recycling records for supervisor's review and annual reporting based on established guidelines. This position has responsibility for coordination of compost collection along with specialized recycling. Directs student help or casual employees and works with recycling service providers as needed to accomplish the work. This position will serve as a member of the PCC Sustainability Council (PSC) Consumption & Solid Waste Subcommittee in support of the PCC Climate Action Plan and other College sustainability commitments.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Work is performed both in an office environment and in the field with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. Regular travel between College facilities using a college vehicle is required. Position involves occasional bending, standing, kneeling, climbing ladders, reaching below and above shoulders, and lifting objects weighing up to 60 lbs. while performing job duties. Walking, climbing stairs and entering cramped and difficult locations may be part of routine activities depending on work locations. Working hours may vary and occasional evening or weekend work is required. Regular lifting, guiding and/or carrying of materials is required. May be exposed to potentially hazardous conditions, noise and temperature extremes.
High school diploma or equivalent. Knowledge of recycling processes required. Good organization, public communication and recordkeeping skills. Must have basic computer skills and understanding of basic operations and software applications such as e-mail. Must have knowledge of DEQ waste disposal requirements.
Must have a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in State of Oregon and possess an acceptable driving record.