TITLE: Production Artist/Designer
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direction of departmental management performs a variety of commercial art procedures and techniques to produce professional displays, signs or publications and prepares camera ready art and/or digital artwork.
The focus of the job is on executing the technical work necessary to translate designs into displays, signs, posters and other materials.
The duties listed are characteristic of the type and level of work associated with this job class. Individual positions may perform all or some combination of duties listed as well as other related duties.
- Performs a variety of commercial art procedures and techniques to produce brochures, advertisements, signs, posters and other printed materials. Determines best techniques to execute projects. May receive assignments from other graphic design staff or work directly with clients to design and/or produce materials.
- Uses a variety of learned skills to execute projects, which may include organizing text, headings, photos, illustrations and graphic elements, scanning, and hand lettering to create designs.
- Uses appropriate computer software to produce documents, prepare photos and illustrations, maintain project records, organize and store related files on servers and other storage media. Operates and maintains a variety of technical equipment in a safe manner.
- Uses inks, solvents and other materials appropriately.
- Organizes data creatively for displays, signs, presentations and publications as needed.
- Maintains current knowledge of graphic design methods, styles and practices.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office environment. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis. Occasional exposures to chemicals may occur.
Extended standing and occasional lifting of displays may be required. Learned physical skill is required for keyboarding and drawing and lettering, using varied graphic techniques and materials/equipment.
Associate of Applied Science in commercial or graphic art or design and one year of production and design experience. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.