TITLE: Library Technician
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of library management provides technical support and customer services to library patrons. Responds to a wide variety of user needs ranging from providing research assistance to billing and mediating charges. Catalogs library materials, creates and maintains complex reserve records and handles Interlibrary Loan process. Responsible for training, guiding and reviewing the work of student and casual employees.
Incumbent may work under minimal supervision. Interpersonal contacts include faculty, staff, students and other academic libraries and the public.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: (Includes some or all of the following)
1. Provides direct information to library patrons; Explains and enforces library policies and procedures; Locates and checks out library materials to qualified users; Searches and transfers requested materials to pick up point in the college and in the NW Region.
2. Provides research assistance and ready reference; Instructs in the use of complex databases and online library system; Provides information and assistance in the use of circulation software, vended printing system, print card dispenser, photocopy equipment, lab computers, electronic equipment, audio visual, tape and CD duplicating and staff office equipment; contacts internal or external sources for maintenance as needed. May set up and operate audio visual equipment.
3. Assumes full responsibility for the operation, safety and security of the libraries during early morning, evening and weekends as the only staff available.
4. May perform a specialized function within the library for the campus library and/or district-wide, which may include coordination of inter-library loans, film and video scheduling, billings, reserve management (both print and electronic), serials management and stack supervision. Provides specialized assistance in area of assignment.
5. May serve as contact for local and regional library consortia such as Orbis-Cascade Alliance and Online Computer Library Center.
6. Bills and mediates charges of local patrons and patrons of large multi-state consortium of libraries through a collective database. Directly bills and credits PCC student financial records in Banner and using a library-specific interface.
7. Handles intricate details of Interlibrary Loan (ILL) borrowing and lending processes including processing requests into or out of national database daily. Utilizes mail, fax, or Ariel to receive or transmit requests. Uses integrated library software to tract materials. Keeps current on copyright law, national ILL protocols, PCC ILL polices and regional agreements.
8. Creates and maintains complex reserve records in integrated library system for both electronic and print format. Advises faculty of copyright guidelines and reviews items submitted for compliance; archives publisher permissions. Provides direct information to faculty and students regarding traditional and electronic reserves.
9. Performs original cataloging of library materials using close catalog copy from sources such as the Library of Congress (LC) and the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC). Verifies bibliographic and authority information, reporting conflicting entries. Processes new, replacement, and gift library materials. Maintains records of uncataloged and reserve materials. Prepares materials for circulation.
10. Updates materials holdings and locations information in local and shared databases; Withdraws unneeded materials and maintains withdrawal archives.
11. May order material subscriptions, initiate renewal, maintain complex serials holding in multiple databases; Process payments and claims, track budget and establish electronic links in library catalog to selected print journals.
12. Creates and manages financial and statistical reports using the library's integrated system and other software.
13. Maintains periodical collection; including display of current periodicals, shelf reading, labeling and maintenance of scheduled discards and file updates.
14. Fills on-line requests for barcodes including registration of Distance Learning and affiliated CCSD patrons in library systems, monitoring for required updates to patron records.
15. Conducts inventories of materials, supplies and equipment. Orders, receives and verifies new supplies.
16. Trains and directs the work of work study and student help in database use, circulation procedures, library shelving and stacks maintenance, and inventory procedures.
17. Creates instructional and promotional brochures and training handouts for internal training, staff orientation and public use.
18. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed primarily in the library and is fast paced with constant interruptions. Exposure to video display terminals occurs with varied frequency. Some assignments involve transporting materials from the loading dock, between classrooms and within campuses.
Learned physical skill is required to perform keyboarding and data retrieval. Some assignments involve lifting of materials (25 to 50 pounds) and use of carts and hand trucks.
High school diploma or equivalent; Library/Media Assistant Certificate or one year of post high school education in library science. One year of related experience may substitute for the certificate or post high school education.
Two years experience working in a library assisting patrons is required.
Proficiency in data entry, key boarding and use of database programs. Must have good communication skills and be detail oriented.