TITLE: Lead Shipping/Receiving Clerk
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under bookstore management, through self and others, ensures the accurate and timely shipping, receiving and distribution of all books and merchandise sold in college bookstores and off-site locations. Assigns, distributes and monitors work of shipping/receiving clerk(s), student workers and temporary staff; leads, trains and provides input into the performance of these individuals. Ensures that the warehouse is properly maintained at all times, and that deliveries are received from vendors and delivered to appropriate location or added to existing stock. Establishing ethical business practices that result in service and profit is important. Job requires patience in communication and well developed verbal skills to present and exchange information which is sometimes technical or complex. Interpersonal contacts primarily include bookstore staff, external delivery services, publishers/other vendors, and local businesses. Work results impact the accuracy, reliability and acceptability of further results beyond the immediate work section. Responds to work situations with minimum guidance or direction.
- Assigns, distributes and monitors work of shipping/receiving clerk(s), student workers and temporary staff; leads, trains and provides input into the performance of these individuals.
- Ensures that all books and merchandise are properly received, priced (affix bar code labels) and that all pertinent data regarding shipments is correctly entered into computerized system.
- Places books/merchandise into stock and/or responds to requests for transfer of books and merchandise from bookstore warehouse to campuses/centers and off-site locations. Operates forklift, pallet jack and/or hand truck to transport goods.
- Ensures that all unsold books and defective merchandise are returned to vendors in timely manner for full credit.
- Schedules and coordinates deliveries with vendors and/or offsite contractors to accommodate the needs of students.
- Monitors stock on hand, conducts inventories and conveys pertinent information to bookstore buyers.
- Stays abreast of laws, policies and procedures concerning freight lines, UPS and other delivery services. Processes orders using UPS computerized systems.
- Maintains equipment and licensing of vans, elevator and forklift.
- Organizes and maintains warehouse area in a safe and efficient manner. Checks for the safe and correct use of equipment by shipping/receiving staff.
- Maintains accurate records of all shipments and transactions.
- Substitutes for other shipping/receiving staff as needed which may include but is not limited to driving cargo van to transport or pickup books and/or merchandise.
- In concert with director, hires temporary staff to assist during peak periods.
- Assists Bookstore Accountant with routine tasks as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Work occurs indoors in bookstores, warehouses and delivery points and outdoors when transporting or unloading. Exposure to one or more disagreeable conditions occurs, including weather extremes and occasional extended hours.
Must be able to lift/move heavy boxes, materials (70+ lbs). Uses learned physical skill to operate forklift, pallet jack and/or hand truck. Requires considerable physical exertion.
High school diploma or equivalent. Two years of experience performing stock control, inventory and recordkeeping functions. Must have the ability to effectively lead and guide bookstore shipping/receiving staff. Working knowledge of computer data entry/retrieval procedures. Knowledge of laws, policies and procedures concerning freight lines, UPS and other delivery services.
Ability to interact effectively with a wide spectrum of people, and to maintain composure under stressful conditions. Effective communication skills required for providing guidance and direction to shipping/receiving staff. Ability to organize and schedule work of others to meet established timelines.
Must have a valid driver's license. Must be able to pass PCC's "Forklift Operators" and "Right to Know" requirements.