TITLE: Lead Custodian
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under plant services management, ensures a safe and clean environment through assignment of work to custodial staff, leading workers, inspection of premises and performance of custodial tasks as needed. Provides supplies and equipment for
completion of work performed, and monitors key facilities and equipment such as pools and boilers. Trains and monitors performance of custodial personnel. Interpersonal contacts extend to college staff and students, the public and external employment services. Skill in establishing harmonious relationships and gaining trust and cooperation are important. Work results impact the accuracy, reliability and acceptability of further results beyond the immediate work section. Incumbent's services impact others who make a broader contribution to the final service provided the customer. Responsible for responding to work situations with minimum guidance or direction.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: (Includes some or all of the following)
1. Performs all of the duties of a Custodian and Maintenance Custodian.
2. Distributes work assignments, keys and materials to crew members at beginning of shift.
3. Instructs and monitors tasks of custodial crew, including all appropriate documentation.
4. Checks and maintains boilers.
5. Responds to requests for service in moving furniture and equipment or maintenance of facilities.
6. Ensures cleanliness and maintenance of surfaces including carpets, floors, walls and shelving as well as exterior walkways and windows.
7. Keeps custodial closets clean and well-stocked.
8. Fills in for custodial staff as needed.
9. Works with contract agencies according to college procedure to ensure adequate staffing.
10. Reports unsafe, deteriorating or irregular conditions to supervisor.
11. Participates in staff training, development and performance appraisal.
12. Provides security for buildings and equipment through key security procedures, responding to alarms and reporting incidents promptly.
13. Performs specialized tasks during adverse weather conditions and college closures.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed both indoors and outside, and involves dirt and use of cleaning materials and equipment.
Moderate strength and ability to operate commercial vacuum and other cleaning equipment.
High school diploma or equivalent; three years of experience in commercial custodial work; one year leading others. Must be able to use a respirator. Must have basic computer skills and understanding of basic operations and software applications such as e-mail.
Must have a valid drivers license to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Oregon and possess an acceptable driving record.