TITLE: Instructional Support Technician I
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the technical direction of a faculty member/laboratory supervisor/administrator, provides assistance to students involved in a classroom/laboratory setting; tasks performed require technical skill, concentration and attention but are regularly recurring; some discretion, consideration and planning are required to adequately respond and carry out work activities; well developed verbal skills are required to present and exchange technical or complex information; contacts are primarily within the immediate work group; work is performed relatively independently as the incumbent participates in the final service provided in the classroom/laboratory/center.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: (Includes some or all of the following)
- Works with students and provides direct assistance in their access to instructional programs; helps students who are learning to use specific software and hardware; assists students in registering for classes, completing assignments, following instructor directions; orients students to the classroom/laboratory; may provide assistance for students who are in crisis.
- Maintains and inventories computers, printers, equipment, materials, supplies, written and audio-visual materials required for student instructional needs; performs minor maintenance on equipment; checks out equipment, supplies, materials, videos and packages computers for off-site use.
- Over the telephone or in person provides students, staff, instructors and public with information relating to specific programs; may take messages for students or instructors who are working in the area; may copy materials for distribution to students; provides referrals to outside agencies as appropriate.
- Maintains records of activities undertaken in the support of the classroom/laboratory which may include typing forms, inputting data or otherwise retaining information regarding students and their progress in meeting instructional goals; may arrange for appropriate testing.
- Provides for the general cleanliness and security of the laboratory or work area; assists in providing for a safe environment for the conduct of the class/laboratory. Reports maintenance problems as they occur.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work pressure, disturbances of work flow and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Changes in the performance environment require occasional upgrading of skills. Working conditions are generally good. Little exposure to safety or health hazards.
Some learned physical skills are required. Light physical effort such as standing, walking and lifting; occasional lifting of heavy equipment.
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of experience in the specific area of instructional support required. An appropriate Associate Arts degree or certificate may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the experience requirement. Must have proven communications skills adequate to assist students in understanding the work they are to perform. Must be able to provide own transportation for off-site travel.