TITLE: Groundskeeper II
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of grounds management, works independently to perform a wide range of landscape maintenance duties, working safely with gas and diesel powered equipment including mowers, tractors, chainsaws etc., and attending to plants, trees and lawns on assigned campuses. Performs daily routine maintenance and minor repairs to equipment, fencing and grounds features as needed. Incumbent is a key contributor within the department with work results impacting the immediate work section, and campus staff and students. Important job contacts are with peers in immediate work group and supervisor, and additional contact with individuals outside the department and vendors. Performs work as a designated essential personnel. Job requires ordinary conversational skills and courtesy to exchange information and assistance which is routine in nature.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: (Includes some or all of the following)
- Performs a full range of landscape maintenance duties including leaf removal, pruning shrubs and trees, spraying and fertilizing, lawn care and watering.
- Removes litter and empties trash cans.
- Cleans roads, parking lots and walks to ensure safety for pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Constructs carpentry features and masonry structures for special landscape projects.
- Provides full care for designated indoor plants.
- Removes ice and snow from walks, roads and lots, including the application of ice melter and road sand using snow plow and sanders.
- Selects and establishes new plants and plantings both in landscape and through greenhouse culture.
- Installs, repairs and uses manual and electronic watering systems to ensure adequate moisture for plantings.
- Performs vector control including trapping and disposing of small animals and insects
- Works in a safe manner leaving work areas safe during and after work projects.
- Maintains appropriate records both manual and computerized which includes chemical logs and pesticides, material safety data sheets and various inventories.
- Cleans spills as needed, including body fluids.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed primarily outdoors, on varying terrain (some potentially hazardous), in all types of extreme weather conditions and involves potential exposure to pesticides and maintenance related substances, blood borne pathogens, and diseased animals. Positions involve recurring early and late hours with exposure to hazards and ventilation problems and noise extremes, high vehicular traffic and congested areas. Travel between college locations using college-owned vehicle or personal vehicle may be required.
Position requires shoveling of heavy materials and the use of equipment such as mowers, chain saws, pruners, snow and leaf blowers, sprayers, payloaders, tractors and edgers. Strength and agility, and extended standing and heavy lifting are required.
High school diploma or equivalent; two years of experience in basic landscape maintenance. Must possess or be able to obtain a valid public pesticide apprentice license, and forklift certification within nine months of employment. Must possess good record keeping and basic computer skills. Must be able to obtain certificates for first aid/CPR within six months of employment. Must be able to use a respirator when required.
Must have valid drivers license to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Oregon and possess an acceptable driving record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
• Safety and materials requirements and recordkeeping;
• Departmental processes and policies;
• Plant identification and control;
• Heavy equipment operation and maintenance;
• Use of pesticides;
• Organizing and keeping records;
• Operating a computer and various software packages.
• Effectively communicate both in writing and verbally;
• Work effectively with an ethnically and culturally diverse staff and student population.
• Work independently and prioritize multiple tasks and adapt to needed changes.