TITLE: Grounds Foreperson
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of grounds maintenance management, performs and supervises the performance of landscape and facilities maintenance functions in a safe manner. Job requires well-developed verbal skills to present and exchange technical or complex information. Interpersonal contacts include college students and staff, the public, vendors and representatives from external agencies. Incumbent has primary influence over the nature of the end result with work results impacting the accuracy, reliability and acceptability of further results beyond the immediate work section. Responsible for producing work with minimum guidance or direction, and for guiding and reviewing the work of others.
- Performs all of the duties of a Groundskeeper, Irrigation Technicians and Maintenance Mechanic/ Groundskeeper.
- Oversees student and non-student workers in use of landscape maintenance equipment and supplies, and in proper procedures and techniques.
- Trains and directs the staff's safe use, care and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Independently plans and completes landscape projects at multiple sites. This includes resolving problems and scheduling.
- Implements and directs tasks related to major projects such as landscape and irrigation systems at new sites.
- Maintains current knowledge of correct pesticide and hazardous materials used in landscape maintenance and ensures that training of staff, proper procedures and records are complete.
- Directs recycling activities and collection of hazardous wastes generated by campus activities.
- Directs correct calibration of equipment used in applying pesticides and other potentially hazardous substances.
- Provides and ensures equipment maintenance and repair of grounds equipment in coordination with maintenance personnel.
- Monitors contractors of non-grounds related work as assigned.
- Maintains all safety and training records for OSHA inspection.
- Orders supplies, spare parts and equipment as authorized and takes delivery on or off campus.
- Produces budget projections for grounds maintenance department for supplies and capital projects and monitors spending.
- Recommends purchases, obtains and assist others in collecting bids and ordering supplies.
- Directs and uses heavy equipment in performing tasks related to complete landscape maintenance and construction, including all related landscape equipment.
- Represents the grounds department by attending various committee meetings.
- Provides information and assistance to supervisor in evaluation and assessment of personnel.
- Maintains a safe work environment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed outdoors in sometimes inclement weather and involves dirt, noise and hazardous materials. Work pressure disturbances of work flow, and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected.
Job requires considerable and usually sustained physical effort. Strength and agility for heavy lifting* and knowledge of correct body dynamics is necessary for this position. Job requires ability to operate physically demanding machinery.
*lifting over 50 lbs requires assistance and/or use of mechanical devices such as forklift, hand truck, etc.
High school diploma or equivalent. Two year degree in landscape maintenance required. Experience performing the duties of the job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. Three years of work experience in general landscape maintenance. Knowledge of three or more of the following: heavy equipment operation and maintenance, use of pesticides, drainage and water management, woodworking and carpentry techniques. Working knowledge of plant identification and control, and irrigation techniques. Basic computer knowledge required.
Excellent oral and written communication skills for training and coordinating work of diverse population, maintaining current and complete knowledge of safety and materials requirements and recordkeeping. Demonstrated ability to lead others.
Must be able to meet the requirements to obtain a Class A-CDL within three months of employment for operation of commercial motor vehicles in the State of Oregon; and must possess an acceptable driving record. Must be able to take hazmat/emergency response training within three months of employment.