TITLE: Food Service Assistant
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
Nature and Scope of Work
Under the direction of department management, receives and verifies invoices, forwards and stores merchandise for user departments or for sale in campus outlets. Stores product in accordance with state and county regulations. Performs data entry duties for the tracking of invoices and records keeping. Assist Cooks and Food Service Associates, as well as, vacation relief. Drives cargo van to deliver vending or food items. Repairs and maintains small appliances for all campuses. Interpersonal contacts primarily include department, college staff, students, public, external delivery services, manufacturers, vendors, and state agency. Responsible for producing journey-level work output on an independent basis subject to supervisory direction and review. May provide training and guidance to other staff and student employees.
- Purchases food and supplies daily for business and special catered events in accordance with population fluctuations. Makes recommendations and assists Food Service supervisor in finding replacements for food items and supplies.
- Receives incoming shipments on food items, verifies count with packing slips/invoices, notes and records any shortages/overages. Notifies appropriate operational or accounting personnel of any discrepancies. Stores perishables in a timely manner.
- Processes and maintains accurate paper and computer records and files in a timely manner: including invoice, requisitions and transfer forms and accounting of purchases on a daily, weekly or monthly basis as directed. Distributes documents to appropriate department management and staff.
- Transports food and equipment to campuses in the district. Puts merchandise into the appropriate storage categories and/or arrange for transfers as needed.
- Prepares food items for delivery to other campuses and Sylvania food venues. Documents and/or records transfers to other campuses and departments.
- Conducts inventory of goods; weekly for vending; monthly for food services and equipment as needed. Works with Food Services Operations Coordinator and Vending Clerk on matters concerning proper location of goods, complete/incomplete purchases, invoices, and /or transfer requisitions.
- Provides information, takes and processes orders in person or through telephone contact or via website of vendor.
- Maintains and makes minor repairs to assorted food service equipment and small appliances such as slicers, blenders, cabinet and vending hardware for all campuses. Organizes and maintains storage area in a safe and efficient manner.
- Stores/handles products in accordance with State and County Health regulations.
- Assists with cooking, catering, kitchen and vending duties as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work occurs indoors and occasionally outdoors on the loading dock. Exposed to refrigerated and freezer walk-ins, ranging in temperatures of forty to zero degrees.
Works with hazardous chemicals. Work prerformed in production kitchen has high temperatures and noise.
Must be able to lift/move heavy boxes, and materials (75+lbs). Uses learned physical skills to operate pallet jack, hand truck, push carts and computers.
High school diploma or equivalent, three years of experience performing stock control, inventory, and food production. Two years of course work in Hotel and Restaurant Training or two years of job-related training may be substituted for two years of the experience requirement. Must have basic knowledge and experience with computer spreadsheet and word processing. Ability to make minor repairs to assorted food service equipment and small appliances is required. Must have valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Oregon, and possess an acceptable driving record.