TITLE: Food Service Associate
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direct supervision of food service management, performs basic food service functions, including preparation/serving of food items, stocking of supplies, cashiering and catering special events. Work situations are routine and regularly recurring, requiring an ability to perform basic arithmetic calculations and understand commonly used procedures and work methods. Communication skills are employed to interact with supervisor, co-workers, student trainees and public. Responsible for maintaining County/State/Federal health codes, customer satisfaction and accurate work results that are noticeable by the customer (i.e., food quality, wholesomeness, presentation, merchandising, portion control and maintenance of departmental food standards).
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES (Includes some of all of the following)
- Sets up and closes out cash registers and performs cashiering as needed.
- Keeps work and service area in a safe, sanitary and orderly manner. Understands and complies with County/State/Federal health codes to ensure the health and safety of the customer.
- Caters special events (sets up, waits table, prepares facilities, maintains food presentation, etc.).
- Inventories and restocks work stations for needed supplies.
- Works or assists at fry station and grill.
- Assembles salads, sandwiches and pizza. Prepares soups, coffee and espresso drinks.
- Serves on the hot line or deli station.
- Trains student help (including special needs and international students) to interact with the public, understand and comply with all applicable health codes and regulations, safe equipment operation procedures, cash handling, portion control, food quality standards, etc. Prepares training and progress reports upon request.
- Stays alert to ensure customers are being charged for items taken.
- Cleans preparation and service equipment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in a commercial food service operation environment. May require extended hours with little notice. Work pressure and disturbance of workflow can occur daily (i.e., no notification given for large groups of people, student help and employees calling in absent while maintaining all service points/departments, departments requesting catering service with no notification, etc.). May include occasional exposure to noise and temperature fluctuations.
Job requires frequent standing and walking. Lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 40 pounds occurs with varied frequency.
High school diploma or equivalent and minimum six months of food service and cashiering experience required. Knowledge of County/State/Federal health and safety codes pertaining to commercial food service operations. Must have ability to obtain a food handler's card. Must be able to effectively communicate in oral and written form.