TITLE: Delivery Driver
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of department management, processes and delivers materials, equipment and/or supplies to all campus locations. Meets a time schedule that permits predictable receipt and dispatch of deliverable items between various campus installations and operational units. Incumbent applies well developed interpersonal skills to exchange technical information regarding applicable regulations, policy and procedure and to resolve delivery schedule conflicts. Work results impact the accuracy, reliability and acceptability of further results beyond the immediate work section. Incumbent’s services impact the users who make a broader contribution to the final product. Responsible for producing journey level work output on an independent basis subject to supervisory review and direction.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: (Includes some or all of the following)
- Sorts, loads, transports and delivers materials, equipment and/or supplies to various locations throughout the college district.
- Classifies and processes outgoing mail and materials for college operations for accurate and timely dispatch. Sorts and delivers incoming mail and materials. Accesses college mainframe computer to research unfamiliar staff members and forwards mail to appropriate locations.
- Picks up and delivers high priority materials, equipment and/or supplies which must be delivered within a specific time frame.
- Drives van between locations in all types of weather and road conditions.
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant job-related regulations; provides information and assistance to others.
- Performs and schedules preventive maintenance (i.e., oil changes, chassis lubrication, bulb/fuse/wiper replacement, etc.).
- Operates fork lift, pallet jack and/or hand truck for heavy lifting and large deliveries.
- Follows safety procedures at all times and uses proper lifting techniques to ensure personal health and safety.
- Completes hazardous chemical awareness program and maintains up-to-date knowledge regarding safe transport and handling of chemicals and other potentially hazardous substances.
- Cross trains in other department operations as assigned.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment. Follows safety procedures and uses proper lifting techniques to ensure personal health and safety as well as the safety of others. Participates in initial and ongoing training in the safe handling of chemicals and other potentially hazardous material.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work involves transporting materials in all types of weather, driving a van, and sorting and organizing materials. May work with hazardous chemicals and toxic substances occasionally. Requires scheduling and resourcefulness to maintain tight time schedule in various traffic and weather conditions.
Must be able to lift/move heavy boxes, materials, equipment and/or supplies weighing a minimum of 50 pounds. Learned physical skill required for proper and safe lifting techniques. Must have the ability to operate pallet jack and hand truck. Some positions may require the ability to drive and operate a forklift.
High school diploma or equivalent; six months of experience making deliveries and sorting materials for routing or filling orders. Ability to organize and schedule work to meet established, strict timelines with minimum supervision. Ability to work effectively with the public. Able to comprehend various regulations/policies and communicate to those who are unfamiliar with them. Must have valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Oregon and possess an acceptable driving records. May be required to obtain forklift driver certification soon after hire.