TITLE: Athletic Programs Assistant
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
Performs a variety of tasks and functions in support of the college's athletic program and physical education facilities. Depending upon assignment, responsibilities will include a mix of office or administrative functions and service/maintenance activities. Office tasks typically include answering phones, record keeping and word processing. Service responsibilities include equipment management as well as coordination of the athletic facilities. Some positions may be assigned responsibility maintaining pool chemistry and for assisting with the coordination of inter-collegiate sports, intramural activities, and/or lifeguard activities. Provides technical information to students and the public regarding athletic programs and facilities.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES (specific responsibilities vary according to assignment)
1. Performs office support functions such as answering phones, taking messages, ordering supplies, recordkeeping and tracking attendance for P. E. 10 (independent, self-paced physical education class), and word processing of materials such as class syllabi, handouts, memos, reports, contracts, facility policies/procedure manuals, game programs and schedules, etc. May assist the Manager with the preparation and monitoring of the departmental budget.
2. Inputs and retrieves information from the college mainframe and/or other computer networks as required. Maintains computer files and paper records for the athletic program including eligibility documents and financial aid. Processes and tracks hiring and payroll data for PE facility, lifeguard, and game management staff.
3. Schedules facility use under the direction of Supervisor. Arranges payment schedules, drafts and distributes invoices for gymnasium use. Provides facility access for faculty, staff, students and special event groups. Organizes facility set up and tear down.
4. May assist with the coordination of intercollegiate activities including but not limited to appropriately staffing games, conducting eligibility checks, arranging transportation/travel and room accommodations for athletes. Provides back up at games in the absence of the Manager.
5. May maintain pool chemistry. Adds chemicals and makes corrections to chemicals as needed to keep pool operational and maintain proper water balance. Tracks and records vital pool statistics for State Pool Inspectors.
6. May coordinate lifeguard activities for academic/non-credit classes and special events. Monitors lifeguard attendance and provides performance in-put to management. Tracks and monitors lifeguard certifications. Conducts lifeguard in-service/training sessions.
7. May coordinate facility monitor activities for open recreation, intramural and special events. Coordination activities typically include conducting facility monitor in-service/training sessions, tracking attendance and providing information to management regarding performance of facility monitors.
8. Performs minor maintenance and repair of physical education and other related equipment. Inventories equipment and maintains hard copy or computer records.
9. Processes purchase requisitions for new equipment. Utilizes blanket purchase orders, and monitors expenditures and interfaces with vendors as necessary. Tracks equipment/supply budget and consults with faculty regarding equipment purchases. Prepares physical education equipment and supplies request for the annual budget process.
10. May assist the Manager and Student Leadership Coordinator with the coordination of intramural program which includes performing such tasks as scheduling facilities and setting up equipment.
11. Assigns lockers and locks to students, faculty and staff. Maintains accurate records of these assignments.
12. Provides technical information to students and the public regarding athletic programs, class schedules, directions, college facility policies and procedures both over the phone and in person.
13. Assists the Manager with the supervision of the recreational use of PE facility during open recreation hours and special events conducted by groups renting the facilities; monitors and intercedes in user conflicts that may rise regarding use of the facilities.
14. Folds, counts, issues and exchanges towels. Inventories towels as necessary.
15. Maintains security of the gymnasium and locker room facilities and appropriate housekeeping standards in the locker rooms and office. May unlock/lock facilities and prepare all rooms for the opening/closing.
16. Writes up, processes and maintains transcript-hold fee files for locks and lost or stolen equipment.
17. Oversees and coordinates the work of work study students.
18. Performs minor first aid and security assistance.
19. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in a physical education facilities environment. Exposure to incidents requiring the administration of minor first aid may occur.
Some heavy lifting of physical education equipment is required. Work may occasionally performed in awkward positions when setting up equipment and performing cleaning and or repair duties.
High school diploma or equivalent. One year of office support or related experience and a working knowledge of a range of sports activities within a community college setting. Basic computing, keyboarding, math and recordkeeping skills are required. Good communication and customer service skills required to interact with a variety of students, faculty, staff and the public. Depending on position, may require American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification and be able to obtain Pool Operator Certificate within six months of employment.
REPLACES: Sports Activities Assistant I, II, III