TITLE: Sustainability Coordinator
CLASS: Academic Professional
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
Under administrative supervision, the position is responsible for providing coordination and oversight of campus activities focusing on sustainability. Incumbents work independently in developing and implementing programs or activities for students and staff that advance sustainable practices. The Sustainability Coordinator directs resources and activities related to program practices for the campus to include: assisting with grant preparation, student leadership development, community outreach, and assisting with the development of faculty curricular projects related to sustainability. The Campus Sustainability Coordinator works across the college district to ensure coordination of PCC’s sustainability initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Initiates and coordinates campus-based sustainability programs (e.g., waste reduction and/or composting).
- Coordinates and facilitates campus-based sustainability practices and activities. Collaborates with applicable departments and counterparts to prioritize annual campus events to minimize conflicts and to maximize use of campus resources.
- Individually or as a member of a designated team, prioritizes and plans annual calendar of events to include presentations, demonstrations and workshops for students and administration.
- Develops and implements marketing strategies to develop awareness of and participation in college sustainability initiatives.
- Participates in committees, task forces and workshops to engage with students, faculty, staff and administration to develop strategies and goals related to sustainability.
- Designs and facilitates programs and workshops focused on sustainability utilizing platforms such as the “Learning Garden.” Delivers presentations to classes and businesses as requested. May provide presentations to classes and administrative meetings. Assists with the development of educational materials that correlate with classroom curriculum.
- Assists students in coordinating studies with sustainability or environmental programs. Fosters collaborative relationships with the community, state agencies, as well as other college resources. Refers students to available services for further information and guidance.
- Directs volunteers and may hire, train, evaluate and discharge student and casual workers, including processing all the appropriate paperwork.
- Monitors assigned budget. Plans and reconciles expenditures; allocates and disburses funds and provides appropriate rationale for expenditures.
- Supports grant seeking efforts of management and faculty.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in a variety of settings, often and frequently outdoors. Occasional lifting of materials that may weigh up to 50 pounds may occur. Some extended periods of standing as well as sitting at a computer are required. Occasional evening and/or weekend hours may be required. Regular travel, between campus locations and businesses in the local area requires the use of a personal vehicle.
Generally minimum physical exertion is required.
Bachelor’s degree in Sustainability, Life, Physical or Social Sciences or related field plus two years of professional level experience in an area of sustainable practices. Experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. Demonstrated experience working in sustainability, environmental sciences, or renewable resources for at least one year. Demonstrated experience in program coordination or development.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge and understanding of sustainable practices.
- Knowledge of organic gardening.
- Knowledge of general college policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of student development and/or leadership development.
- Skill in operating a computer and various supporting software packages.
- Skill in designing, writing, and editing promotional materials.
- Skill in developing and facilitating effective training workshops.
- Skill in project management.
- Ability to work effectively with ethnically and culturally diverse student populations and employee teams.
- Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form.
- Ability to develop and implement both short term operational and long term strategic plans.
- Ability to manage a program budget.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others throughout the college to accomplish goals.