TITLE: Learning Skills Specialist
CLASS: Academic Professional
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
The Learning Skills Specialist provides tutorial assistance and study skills development to targeted students enrolled in the professional/technical programs at Portland Community College. Develop or summarize and simplify curriculum materials to facilitate student learning.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES (Includes some or all of the following)
1. Provide tutorial assistance related to professional and technical curriculum. Work with individuals or small groups to facilitate student learning.
2. Attend classes to ensure strong understanding of subjects being taught. Work with instructors in identifying specific areas for tutoring assistance.
3. Prepare professional/technical tutorial curriculum to supplement classroom curriculum. Work with instructors in revising or simplifying curriculum.
4. Assist students enrolled in professional/technical programs with math requirements needed for graduation.
5. Monitor student progress. Maintain records.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office setting with regular work hours.
Physical exertion is not a normal activity for this position.
Bachelor's degree in Education or related field. Experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis.
Demonstrated experience working with students with language barriers, disabled students, and students with low basic skills and/or low self-esteem required. Experience in an educational environment working with students in small groups or individually required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Considerable knowledge of different learning styles.
Considerable knowledge of ethnic and cultural issues.
Considerable knowledge of curriculum content for professional/technical programs.
Knowledge of available college resources.
Knowledge of assessment, testing, and the interpretation and application of test results.
Skill in operating a computer and various supporting software packages.
Ability to work with at-risk and culturally diverse populations.
Ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form.