TITLE: Accountant I
CLASS: Academic Professional
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of Financial Services, applies broad understanding of accounting principles and the college's finance structure to perform a variety of accounting functions. Depending on area of assignment, prepares and maintains transaction records related to accounts payable, cash receipts for assigned operations and payments to vendors. Monitors transactions such as vendor invoices and returned checks and interacts to make decisions and resolve problems related to those transactions. Prepares regular reports such as federal/state reports and financial statements. Job requires well-developed verbal skills to present and exchange technical or complex information. Incumbent is a key contributor with work results impacting the accuracy, reliability and acceptability of further results beyond the immediate work section. Responsible for producing journey-level work output on an independent basis subject to supervisory direction and review.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: (Includes some or all of the following)
- Performs regular processing of vendor invoices, funds management and/or other tasks which require the application of a broad spectrum of accounting principles.
- Monitors financial transactions.
- Compiles and reviews statements and/or prepares reports on fund and transaction activities routinely and upon request.
- Performs reconciliation of accounts.
- Assists in the preparation of complex budgets for assigned area of responsibility.
- Provides technical information and assistance to other accounting personnel, department managers and other staff regarding college accounting requirements and the use of automated systems.
- Develops positive working relationships with vendors, banks and organizations related to assigned work.
- Applies complex policies and procedures to area of responsibility, keeping precise records.
- Uses both personal and mainframe computers to complete and monitor activities assigned. Works with spreadsheets and other software applications to accurately perform duties.
- May review and/or monitor accounting clerk work assignments.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in a normal office environment. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis.
Learned physical skill is required to perform keyboarding and ten-key functions.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field. Experience performing the duties described above may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. One year of general accounting experience. Depending on particular job assignment, course work or experience in municipal or fund accounting may be required. Must have good communication skills; bondable; detail oriented; accurate keyboarding and 10-key experience. Must have good computer skills and a good working knowledge of spreadsheet applications.