TITLE: Sustainability Analyst
CLASS: Academic Professional
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direction of the Sustainability Manager, collects data and performs statistical analysis of sustainability indicators for current programs to determine their effectiveness and progress toward stated objectives. Supports department leadership in studying new and proposed sustainable programs, projecting energy savings and overall program feasibility. Develop methodologies used and document steps taken throughout the data collection and analysis process. This position will also assist the Sustainability Manager with a variety of district wide projects and programs including the development and implementation of a composting and recycling program.
- Performs statistical analysis of PCC’s Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions levels and other sustainable indicators. Researches, analyzes and collects data from a variety of sources internal and external to the college. May engage PCC students to assist with the data collection process.
- Writes reports describing findings, recommendations and overall environmental impacts. Identifies areas for improvement, develops recommendations for follow-up action and researches potential resources. Presents information to internal and external audiences.
- Conducts studies and evaluates how the overall behaviors of the PCC community affect GHG emissions including studying how goods and services are purchased and transportation methods students and staff utilize to arrive at campus. Evaluates and monitors GHG emission levels and develops action plans to reduce these levels.
- Maintains and tracks various sustainability indicators, such as GHG emissions and Sustainability Tracking and Assessment Rating System (STARS), to ensure PCC’s commitment to sustainability. Assesses GHG emissions of PCC waste streams and assists with the development and implementation of emissions monitoring and reduction plans.
- Develops data collection methodologies and reporting processes of all GHG emissions and STARS data. Designs, manages and updates data catalogues for GHG emissions and STARS inventory information.
- Creates and maintains tracking of waste collection and water bill usage data. Assists with the development of a district-wide water conservation plan, in line with PCC’s Climate Action Plan and the college’s commitment to the American Colleges and Universities Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC).
- Assists with the development of a comprehensive, district-wide composting and recycling system under the umbrella of one waste hauler. Assists with managing a district-wide waste hauling contract.
- Supports outreach efforts to internal and external stakeholders regarding general sustainability information including waste reduction, GHG reduction and overall sustainability progress. May represent PCC at local and regional events and serve on sustainable committees within the College.
- Leads PCC’s recycling programs for the district. Meets with departments to determine the bins and signage needed. Works with student leaders in evaluating and implementing proposed programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Works is performed in an office environment. Occasional evening and/or weekend hours may be required. Regular travel between campus locations and businesses in the local area requires the use of a personal vehicle.
Generally minimum physical exertion is required.
Bachelor’s degree in an area of Sustainability, Environmental Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Demonstrated related professional experience in conducting research, performing statistical analysis, and evaluating environmental issues.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge and understanding of sustainability concepts, energy efficiency practices, DEQ Greenhouse reporting protocols, and EPA guidelines.
Demonstrated knowledge in statistical tools and analysis.
Knowledge in various data collection and assessment methodologies.
Ability to organize and maintain complex/technical activities and handle multiple tasks concurrently.
Ability to perform analytical-related activities of large amounts of data and identify trends.
Ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels, within and outside the college district.
Strong skills in MS Excel, Access and Word to combine and analyze large amounts of data from various sources, and generate reports and graphics.
Skill in effectively communicating complex information verbally and in writing.
Skill in analyzing and summarizing data gleaned from a variety of sources and preparing benchmark reports.
Skill in researching and supporting the implementation of state of the art sustainable practices.