Course Content and Outcome Guide for WR 91A Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- WR 91A
- Course Title:
- Basic Grammar
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionInstruction in grammar including parts of speech, sentence types, subject verb agreement, pronoun usage and avoidance of fragments, run-ons, and other sentence errors. This class is offered in a flexible schedule, lecture/lab format. WR 91A and WR 91 are equivalent. Only one may be taken for credit. Prerequisites: WR 80 and RD 80 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
• Creatively select and competently write appropriate sentence types in a variety of settings using grammatical conventions.
• Accurately differentiate between fragments, run-ons, and sentences when editing various kinds of writing for personal, professional, and academic purposes.
•Be prepared for future coursework that requires competency in the vocabulary of English grammar covered in this course.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include:
- Large and small group activities
- Tests and quizzes
- Group and individual projects
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Defining parts of speech
- Recognizing parts of speech in context
- Recognizing and utilizing major sentence types
- Analyzing sentences
- Recognizing fragments
- Writing complete sentences