- Course Number:
- WR 80
- Course Title:
- Writing 80
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Instruction includes basic communication skills, language mechanics, grammar, spelling, sentence structure and paragraph development. Prerequisite: Placement into WR 80 and RD 80. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Employ correct grammar and punctuation
2. Develop paragraphs that have appropriate topic sentences, transitions, and ample support.
3. Demonstrate successful college behaviors: communication, participation, responsibility, and time management.
4. Practice critical thinking in response to text.
5. Increase college level vocabulary.
6. Apply a working writing process with clear regard for the stages of invention, support/organization, drafting and revision
7. Perform successfully in WR 90
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. A writing process journal
2. Sentence and paragraph development practice exercises
3. Grammar and punctuation practice exercises
4. Spelling and vocabulary tasks
5. Group-work - students respond to class readings and/or fellow students writing assignments
6. In-class writing assignments
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
1. Writing process
2. Revision and peer-revision
3. Grammar and punctuation usage
4. Critical thinking
5. Idea development and support
6. Topic sentences, transitions and paragraph organization