Course Content and Outcome Guide for WR 80 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- WR 80
- Course Title:
- Writing 80
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers basic communication skills, language mechanics, grammar, spelling, sentence structure and paragraph development. Prerequisites: Placement into WR 80 and RD 80, or completion of both ABE Fundamentals of Reading 0783 and ABE Fundamentals of Writing 0784. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Employ correct grammar and punctuation
- Develop paragraphs that have appropriate topic sentences, transitions, and ample support.
- Demonstrate successful college behaviors: communication, participation, responsibility, and time management.
- Practice critical thinking in response to text.
- Increase college level vocabulary.
- Apply a working writing process with clear regard for the stages of invention, support/organization, drafting and revision.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. A writing process journal
2. Sentence and paragraph development practice exercises
3. Grammar and punctuation practice exercises
4. Spelling and vocabulary tasks
5. Group-work - students respond to class readings and/or fellow students writing assignments
6. In-class writing assignments
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
1. Writing process
2. Revision and peer-revision
3. Grammar and punctuation usage
4. Critical thinking
5. Idea development and support
6. Topic sentences, transitions and paragraph organization