Course Content and Outcome Guide for WLD 190A Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- WLD 190A
- Course Title:
- Beginning Welding Practice
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces welding and industry standards. Develops foundational skills required for advancement in future coursework. First class in a three course sequence. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videotapes, lab demonstrations and technical skills. Course outcomes will include theoretical concepts, layout, fabrication, welding, oxyacetylene cutting, safety and environmental awareness, communication, computations and human relations.
Intended Outcomes for the course
•Function safely in a welding shop environment.
•Operate oxyacetylene portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
•Weld common joint configurations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, observations, written assignments, visual inspection techniques, welding tests, safe work habits, task performance and work relations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding Shop:
- Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear.
- Understand and practice hand tool and power tool safety.
- Understand and practice equipment safety for welding and Oxyacetylene cutting systems.
- Understand and maintain a safe work area.
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections.
- Understand and practice fire prevention.
- Access and explain the importance of the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Operate Oxyacetylene portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
- Demonstrate correct setup and shutdown procedures for the hand cutting and track cutting system.
- Perform Oxyacetylene cutting with guided practice.
Develop knowledge and skills in the selected Welding Process.
- The instructor and the student will design the course outcomes.