- Course Number:
- WLD 126A
- Course Title:
- Beginning Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (Heliarc)
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces gas tungsten arc welding and industry standards. Weld common joint configurations in the 1F and 2F positions. Develops foundational skills required for advancement in future course work. First class in a four course sequence. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videotapes, lab demonstrations and technical skills. Course outcomes will include theoretical concepts, layout, fabrication, welding, safety and environmental awareness, communication, computations and human relations
Intended Outcomes for the course
The instructor and the student will design beginning course outcomes / activities based on the students individual goals.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes designed by the instructor and student. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: observations, visual inspection techniques, welding tests, safe work habits, task performance and work relations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding Shop.
- Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear.
- Understand and practice hand and power tool safety.
- Understand and maintain a safe work area.
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections.
- Understand and practice fire prevention.
- Access and explain the importance of the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
Develop knowledge and skills in the Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Process.
- The instructor and the student will design the course outcomes.