- Course Number:
- WLD 111
- Course Title:
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (E7024) and Oxy-acetylene Cutting
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers uses, safety, nomenclature, equipment operation, set-up and shutdown procedures for SMAW and OAC. Prerequisites: Department permission required. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videos, and lab demonstrations technical skills. Course outcomes will include: theoretical concepts, layout, fabrication, welding, oxy-fuel cutting, and safety.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab
- Operate oxy-fuel portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards
- Understand and apply fundamentals of SMAW E7024 operations
- Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints
- Weld common joint assemblies with E7024 electrode to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code
Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with AWS D1.1
Course Activities and Design
Welding lec/lab courses are Open Entry and Open Exit (OE/OE) and are offered concurrently. Courses are designed to meet the needs of the students with flexible scheduling options. Students may attend full time or part time. This is an OE/OE course which does not align with the normal academic calendar.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, written assignments, visual inspection, welding tests and task performance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab.
- Understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear
- Understand and practice power tool safety
- Understand and practice equipment safety for welding and oxy-fuel cutting systems
- Understand and maintain a safe work area
- Recognize and report dangerous electrical and air/gas hose connections
- Understand and practice fire prevention
Operate oxy-fuel portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
- Demonstrate correct setup, operation and shutdown procedures for oxy-fuel hand cutting
- Demonstrate correct setup, operation and shutdown procedures for oxy-fuel track cutting
Understand and apply fundamentals of SMAW E7024 Operations.
- Describe and demonstrate equipment setup, shut down, and operation
- Identify electrode characteristics
- Demonstrate proper arc length and travel speed
Demonstrate correct starting, stopping and restarting techniques
Demonstrate proper bead placement
Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints.
- Interpret lines, symbols, views and notes
- Lay out material per specifications
- Use the oxy-fuel cutting process to cut material to specified dimensions
- Assemble project per specifications
Weld common joint assemblies with the E7024 to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code in the following joint configurations and positions.
Out side corner joint
Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with AWS D1.1.
- Evaluate welds using appropriate welding inspection tools
- Assess weld discontinuities causes and corrections