- Course Number:
- RD 91A
- Course Title:
- Reading 91A
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionFocuses on reading effectiveness. Comprehension strategies, vocabulary development, and reading rate are emphasized. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Reading 91 focuses on reading effectiveness. Comprehension strategies, vocabulary development, and reading rate are emphasized.
Prerequisite: Reading placement score 36-41 or successful completion of RD 80.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Use reading for pleasure, learning, and intellectual stimulation.
- Employ vocabulary development strategies.
- Adjust reading rate to the nature of the material.
- Exhibit successful college student behaviors
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Group/individual assessment may include any of the following:
- conference with instructor
- written summaries / responses
- reading logs / journals / portfolios
- presentations with rating criteria
- take-home exams
- graded homework
- projects with rating criteria
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues:
A strong reader commits to ongoing vocabulary development:
- affixes / roots
- sight vocabulary
A strong reader understands that critical reading and thinking are crucial:
- author's purpose
- fact / opinion
A strong reader reads for many purposes:
- knowledge acquisition
- intellectual stimulation
Competencies and Skills:
- use context
- use dictionary
- recognize roots and affixes
- increase sight vocabulary
Work and Career Preparation:
- work productively with others
- organize and use time effectively