Course Content and Outcome Guide for RD 90
- Course Number:
- RD 90
- Course Title:
- Reading 90
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionImproves reading through work on vocabulary development, motor skills, comprehension and some reading rate improvement. Prerequisite: Placement into RD 90 or successful completion of RD 80 AND placement into WR 80. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Find and articulate the main idea and major details in a variety of written text: textbooks, literature, newspapers, and magazines.
- Read critically and think critically, distinguishing fact from opinion and determining the author°s purpose and bias.
- Use reading for pleasure, learning, and intellectual stimulation.
- Employ vocabulary development strategies.
- Adjust reading rate to the nature of the material.
- Exhibit successful college student behaviors.
- Perform successfully in Reading 115.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Group/Individual assessment may include any of the following:
- conference with instructor
- written summaries / responses
- reading logs / journals / portfolios
- presentations with rating criteria
- take-home exams
- graded homework
- projects with rating criteria
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues:
A strong reader understands organization:
- general / specific
- topic / main ides / supporting ideas
- comparison / contrast
- cause / effect
A strong reader commits to ongoing vocabulary development:
- affixes / roots
- sight vocabulary
A strong reader understands that critical reading and thinking are crucial:
- author°s purpose
- fact / opinion
A strong reader reads for many purposes:
- knowledge acquisition
- intellectual stimulation
Competencies and Skills:
- use context
- use dictionary
- recognize roots and affixes
- increase sight vocabulary
Higher Order Thinking:
- analyze a problem
- solve a problem
- draw reasonable inferences
- integrate information and ideas
- think holistically
- distinguish fact from opinion
Work and Career Preparation:
- work productively with others
- organize and use time effectively