Course Content and Outcome Guide for RD 80A
- Course Number:
- RD 80A
- Course Title:
- Reading 80A
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionTopics include vocabulary, dictionary use, motor skills, comprehension, reading rate improvement, and study skills. Prerequisite: ABE 0783 or placement into RD 80. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Articulate topic and main idea in a variety of reading materials.
- Use reading for pleasure, learning, and intellectual stimulation.
- Demonstrate successful college student behaviors.
- Perform successfully in RD 90.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include, but is not limited to:
- completion of daily assignments
- participation in group work
- in-class tests
- oral or written book report or other project based on a book read by the student
- reasonable attendance
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- study reading and pleasure reading
- relation of vocabulary to comprehension
- reading = thinking
- the effect of reading on personal life:
- reading to children
- being an informed citizen
- marking text material for better recall
- vocabulary: context skills, dictionary skill
- main idea and supporting details
- reading the newspaper
- completing a book for enjoyment