- Course Number:
- PL 226
- Course Title:
- Criminal Law for Paralegal
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers general criminal law and procedure to gain a basic understanding of the criminal justice system as well as the Paralegal's role in the criminal justice system. Prerequisites/concurrent: PL 101. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
An elective satisfying the requirements of either a Legal Assistant Certificate or an Associate of Applied Science degree.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Apply appropriate analysis and application of facts to relevant criminal law and procedures.
- Draft pleadings and motions relevant to a criminal law practice.
- Facilitate case and records management, including coordination with attorneys, police and other parties.
- Effectively interview clients in a criminal law situation.
Course Activities and Design
Course is presented by a combination of lecture and discussion and may be team taught by experienced defense and prosecution counsel.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Grades will be based upon essay midterm and final exams.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Student will demonstrate an understanding of criminal law and procedure by appropriate and thorough analysis of fact situations and application of relevant law and procedure to situations presented.
More specific practical skills:
* draft pleadings/motions
* case management - coordinate with attorneys and police
* interview with clients
* post bail