- Course Number:
- PL 201
- Course Title:
- Legal Research and Library Use
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers functions of the law library and the development of research skills through the use of digests, encyclopedias, reporter systems, statutes, secondary sources, and practice manuals. Prerequisites: PL 101. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Analyze a legal problem to determine which legal resources to use in a search for possible solutions.
- Locate and retrieve information which may be specifically requested by an attorney on the job.
- Apply knowledge of law and legal resources to develop an analysis and conclusion to an issue presented by a particular fact pattern.
- Use proper citations for all materials used.
- Use the various research tools available in print form in a legal research center or law library
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment strategies may include: quizzes, homework assignments, research assignments citation exercises, testing, attendance and other projects.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
citation exercises designed to learn proper citation method; research assignments designed to teach students various legal research tools.