Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 291A Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- PE 291A
- Course Title:
- Lifeguard Training
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDesigned to help students learn, practice, and develop the skills of water safety. Successful completion results in receiving an American Red Cross Lifeguard Training certificate. Red Cross swim screening test required. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
In addition, an American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer certificate will be awarded on successful completion.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Acquire American Red Cross certifications in Lifeguard Training, and also CPR for the -Professional Rescuer.
- Apply lifesaving and lifeguarding skills in the aquatics environment.
- Acquire knowledge regarding lifeguarding employment opportunities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written quizzes and examinations
- Inwater and on-deck skills assessments
- Attendance, participation, and practice records.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Professional lifeguarding
- Injury prevention
- Facility safety
- Patron surveillance
- Emergency preparation
- Rescue skills
- Breathing and cardiac emergencies
- First aid
- Caring for head, neck, and back injuries
- Basic precautions in disease prevention
- Understand the characteristics, benefits, and responsibilities of a professional lifeguard.
- Perform various in-water rescues
- Demonstrate modified swimming approaches and water entries
- Perform on-deck rescue skills including CPR, first aid, and in-line stabilization.
- Describe injury prevention concepts such as rules enforcement, patron education, and safety checks
- Demonstrate in-water spinal injury management techniques
- Perform victim recognition, and scanning skills
- Describe proper steps in emergency response