Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 283
- Course Number:
- PE 283
- Course Title:
- Pro Act: Mind-Body Disciplines
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores fitness instruction and leadership in selected modalities within the Mind-Body Disciplines. Examines key principles of the Mind- Body Disciplines and integrates them into a conventional exercise setting. Required: Current Fitness Technology Student or instructor approval. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
A. Explore employment opportunities for the Mind-Body Disciplines in the fitness industry.
B. Apply mind-body principles and teaching methods to fitness programming and group fitness classes.
C. Develop and teach a routine in one of the traditional or contemporary Mind-Body Disciplines.
D. Utilize and enhance mind-body programming and teaching strategies learned through critical analysis of professionals in the industry.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Performance review
- Critiques of Practice Teaching
- Written Assignments
- Research Project
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Mind-Body connections in fitness classes
- Vocabulary of Mind-Body Disciplines
- Traditional versus Contemporary Mind Body Disciplines
- Safety considerations
- Music and equipment selection in Mind/Body classes
- Mind-body certification opportunities
- Mind-body employment opportunities
- Benefits of Mind/Body movement education
- Teaching styles and methods in Mind/Body Disciplines
- Mind/Body connections in traditional and contemporary Mind/Body Disciplines