- Course Number:
- PE 283
- Course Title:
- Professional Activities: Mind-Body Disciplines
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores fitness instruction and leadership in selected modalities within the mind-body disciplines. Examines key principles of the mind-body disciplines and integrates them into a conventional exercise setting. Prerequisites: Acceptance to the Fitness Technology Program or instructor approval and WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Explore employment opportunities for the mind-body disciplines in the fitness industry.
- Apply mind-body principles and teaching methods to fitness programming and group fitness classes.
- Develop and teach a routine in one of the traditional or contemporary mind-body disciplines.
- Utilize and enhance mind-body programming and teaching strategies learned through critical analysis of professionals in the industry.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Performance review
- Critiques of Practice Teaching
- Written Assignments
- Research Project
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Mind-Body connections in fitness classes
- Vocabulary of Mind-Body Disciplines
- Traditional versus Contemporary Mind Body Disciplines
- Safety considerations
- Music and equipment selection in Mind/Body classes
- Mind-body certification opportunities
- Mind-body employment opportunities
- Benefits of Mind/Body movement education
- Teaching styles and methods in Mind/Body Disciplines
- Mind/Body connections in traditional and contemporary Mind/Body Disciplines