Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 282A
- Course Number:
- PE 282A
- Course Title:
- Professional Activities: Group Fitness
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores fitness instruction and leadership for group fitness classes. Covers components of group fitness classes, styles of group exercise, and teaching methods. Required: Current fitness technology student or instructor permission. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
A. Design and deliver appropriate fitness assessments and group fitness classes for healthy client populations.
B. Implement quality teaching methods when instructing group fitness classes.
C. Educate others about how group fitness classes play a role in lifelong health and fitness.
D. Utilize and enhance group fitness programming and teaching strategies learned through critical analysis of professionals in the industry.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Fitness video critiques
- Group fitness class critiques
- Written assignments
- Evaluation of teaching
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
1. Apply components of fitness and principles of conditioning
2. Benefits of cardiorespiratory and muscular fitness training and their role in lifelong wellness
3. Utilize target heart rate and rate of perceived exertion (RPE)
4. Appropriate warm-ups and cool-downs
5. Principles and safety in group fitness instruction
6. Group fitness and exercise myths
7. Safe and appropriate attire for group fitness
8. Select exercises based upon current fitness level and client goals and modify for special needs
9. Demonstrate proper body alignment, technique, and breathing
10. Practice a variety of relaxation and stretching techniques
11. Recognize and respond to movement cues