- Course Number:
- PE 186D
- Course Title:
- Ballroom Dance
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the fundamental principles of Ballroom Dance. Places emphasis on proper partnering, style, and phrasing. Focuses on elementary steps of Foxtrot, Waltz, Swing, Cha- Cha, and Rumba. PE 186D and D 184 are equivalent and only one may be taken for credit. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
1. Use and increase spatial awareness, musicality, and coordination in order to build social connections, and help make social choices.
2. Apply learned history, origin, and precise styling of each dance to increase an understanding of Ballroom Dance as an art form and how it fits with other areas of dance.
3. Use developed skills in freestyle dancing to promote creative problem solving.
4. Utilize learned dance skills to help maintaining fitness and health.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Attendance and participation
Practical evaluation (exercise, floor work)
Group or individual choreography
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
1. Basic skill introduction and/or review
2. new pattern presentation
3. practice with rotation of partners
4. develop both leading and following skills
5. freestyle dancing and practice time