Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 185J
- Course Number:
- PE 185J
- Course Title:
- Beginning Softball
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionEmphasizes knowledge, application, strategy, team and individual skills utilized in the game of softball. Includes batting, running bases and sliding, throwing from outfield, throwing from infield, pitching, catching, fielding and communication. Time is divided between drills and game play. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Appropriate sport clothing needed including sport shoes or rubber cleats and softball glove.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Apply understanding of softball as a sport and as a method of developing physical fitness.
- Have an increased level of physical activity.
- Develop skills needed to play the game of softball.
- Develop a lifelong fitness strategy.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/Post skill assessment
- Active participation and effort
- Written examination of basic rules of game
- Demonstration of proficiency in game play
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Warm-ups, cool-downs
- Fundamental skills of softball
- Play/game strategies
- Fundamental rules, terminology, and sportsmanship
- Safety concepts
- Practice warm-ups, cool-downs
- Perform basic physical skills of softball including catching, throwing, hitting/batting, pitching, base running
- Apply basic rule use in play
- Participate in team play
- Demonstrate basic game strategies