Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 184N
- Course Number:
- PE 184N
- Course Title:
- Physical Activity for Weight Control II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionContinues as an independent and progressive activity program for overweight and/or older students who have taken PE 182W. Covers concepts, activities, and programming that promote weight control through physical activity. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Maintain improved physical and cardiovascular conditioning to help obtain/maintain healthy body composition using the FITT Principles (Frequency, Intensity, Time and Type of Exercise.)
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health and wellness program.
- Continue to recognize triggers and introduce stress reducing skills to help with relapse prevention.
- Learn to use online log to track nutrition.
Course Activities and Design
- Apply present physical condition to appropriate physical activity levels.
- Apply stress reduction techniques, eating strategies and time management to avoid relapse.
- Maintain physical activity log and food journal.
- Fitness testing for cardiovascular endurance and body composition.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/Post physical activity and body composition testing.
- Individual fitness participation.
- Personal physical activity log and journal.
- Participation in discussion assignments.
- Assignments and quiz over course requirements and syllabus.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Calories expenditure/balance
- Identification of events that cause relapse.
- Plan for relapse or plateau
- Relaxation techniques
- Stress reduction
- Eating strategies.
- Balanced exercise program
- Target heart rate
- Appreciation of Benefits of lifelong activity and healthy eating