Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 183Z
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- PE 183Z
- Course Title:
- Tae Kwon Do III
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExpands knowledge of Tae Kwon Do techniques beyond the basics while strengthening self defense skills. Covers skills required for national and international black belt certifications, as well as skills required for Olympic-style sparring referee certification through USA Taekwondo. Develops skill set required to instruct beginning Tae Kwon Do students, including the use of Korean vocabulary and classroom etiquette. Course may be taken 3 times for credit. Recommend: PE 183Y or instructor approval. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
§ Improve overall physical conditioning through participation in Tae Kwon Do, including but not limited to improvements in cardiorespiratory
fitness, muscle fitness, and flexibility/range of motion.
§ Perform safe and effective self defense skills, falls, throws and sparring techniques.
§ Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program.
§ Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
• Learned new forms and self-defense skills
• Improvement on basic and previously learned skills
• Application of prior skills/techniques
• Participate in, and contribute to, class discussions and activities
• Skill assessment through demonstration.
• Practical exams.
• Open to learn new concepts
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Warm-ups and cool-downs
• Conditioning, stretching, and endurance development
• Body mechanics and alignment development
• Discuss differences between Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Karate, Aikido, Boxing, etc.
• History and traditions of Tae Kwon Do
• Differences between traditional Tae Kwon Do and Olympic Tae Kwon Do
• Ki Bon (basics) blocks, kicks, punches, and combinations
• Poomse (forms) long sets of prearranged movements in Tae Kwon Do
• Dare Ee On - choreographed 3-step fighting techniques
• Tumbling and controlled falling
• Combination punching
• Safety concerns
• Blocking and evading an attacker
• Practice warm-ups, cool-downs
• Select appropriate conditioning, stretching, and endurance exercises
• Demonstrate correct body mechanics and alignment
• Interpret differences between various techniques of the martial arts
• Demonstrate Ki Bon
• Demonstrate Poomse
• Demonstrate Dare Ee On
• Utilize correct tumbling and fall techniques
• Demonstrate correct and effective punching, blocking, and evading